Increase font size
Topic Title: Parts to switch out
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/23/2006 05:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/23/2006 05:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Vizzue

I'm thinking now, of just buying a custom PC, with a few things I want (since it's cheaper than retail), and just going from there with it. Just a few questions though. With 2 7900 GTs, as well as an athlon 64X2 3800+, and 2 optical drives, is a 500w PSU enough (an NZXT PF-500 by the way, and I know it's not SLI certified) ? Also, can I trust the Corsair value RAM that will come with one of these? Anyything else will probably break the bank. I'm not going to overclock or anything, but I want at least pretty good performance in games, and something that will last me a while. In that same vein, is the SLI really worth it? I'm an ATI guy, so I wouldn't know, but until now, I've thought that it was out of my league, so no clue. Also, how is it versus crossfire? I've done research, and basically it seems that crossfire isn't as good performance-wise, but I really don't know.

-------------------------
My rig:
AMD 4000+ X2--Radeon X1900xt--74gb Raptor--120gb data drive--DVD burner--DVD-ROM--some gigabyte mobo--Cooler Master Praetorian case--Aquagate Mini HSF--and some other stuff...
 05/23/2006 09:26 PM

Author Icon
shazaam

SLI I thought was like a 30% increase over a single card. Personally, not worth it but hey, that's just me. and a 500w PSU should be alright, not to sure bout the one you mentioned though.
 05/23/2006 09:44 PM

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

NZXT? no... i mean it might work, but dont talk about "breaking the bank" when you are buying two 7900gts. get a single x1900xt, a better PSU, and 2gb of nice ram

The opinions expressed above exactly represent those of the Intel Corporation and all of its affiliates.
Official Intel™ Propaganda Spreader
"Bringing you the benchmarks that everyone knows are fake" ~ SINCE 2006 ~<!--
 05/23/2006 09:48 PM

Author Icon
Vizzue

Well, the 7900GTs come with the computer (which I'm nervous about buying, it seems to be crazy cheap) for quite a bargain. I always thought SLI was out of my league. At this point, it's probably going to be all done by me. Just wondering though, all the gaming trouble on the X2, is that happening on Opterons as well?

My rig:
AMD 4000+ X2--Radeon X1900xt--74gb Raptor--120gb data drive--DVD burner--DVD-ROM--some gigabyte mobo--Cooler Master Praetorian case--Aquagate Mini HSF--and some other stuff...
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information