AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Question about overclocking...
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/04/2006 12:39 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/04/2006 12:39 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Brandynr

I just recently bought an Athlon 64 3700+ and Asus A8N-E motherboard, but I'm using the same memory I had (Mushkin Standard Performance PC3200 2x512). The processor and motherboard seem to OC very well (as per tests running Prime95 with memory clock turned down). But when I try to increase the memory clock to stock speeds to go along with the overclock, the system becomes somewhat unstable.

My question is, will I see much of a performance hit if I turn the memory clock down to say 333? And, using clockgen, as I turned up the "FSB" clock, the memory clock also increased... If I increase the "FSB" clock to where the memory clock is close to the stock 200, will I see issues? Will the memory actually be running at what ClockGen shows? (Yes, I'm new to the Athlon 64 world... Trying to make what little knowledge I've gained work for me.)

Yes, I need better memory, I know... But until I can afford it, I'm trying to work this out.
 03/04/2006 01:25 AM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

here are links to various overclocking guides http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=67749
the first link in that post is vital to understanding how clock generation works.

i havent used clockgen but its best not to overclock with windows based programs.

you can check memory speed and cpu speed with cpu-z from http://www.cpuid.com

-------------------------

Overclocking Help and Links . Why DRM, BluRay and HD-DVD Blow Great tools-> OC Bible v1.52 and Guidemania v1.2
 03/04/2006 01:32 AM

Author Icon
Brandynr

quote:

Originally posted by: zeppelinrox
i havent used clockgen but its best not to overclock with windows based programs.
http://www.cpuid.com

That part I do know. I was using it to be able to get a feel for where my processor started throwing errors in Prime95. For example, I was running Prime95 and increasing the clock frequency by about 2-3 Mhz every 45-60 seconds. I was expecting to get errors at some point, but got to where I figured I'd never even come close to actually running (case temp is a consideration, and Prime95 doesn't run the graphics card, so extra heat may come into play was my thinking), so I just quit and went to what I felt would be a good OC for me. After that, I set the clock speed in the BIOS.

I'll check your link, and see if it helps any.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information