Increase font size
Topic Title: Creating a Dual Boot Win XP & 64-bit XP
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/05/2006 06:20 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/05/2006 06:20 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
potterjazz

I have:

Microstar K8T Neo FSR (MS-6702-020) Socket 754 AMD Athlon64 DDR400 Motherboard
Athlon64 3400+ Socket 754 64-bit Processor
2 160 GB ST3160023AS-RK Seagate SATA Drives
2 120 GB ST3120026A Seagate IDE Drives
Plextor PX-712A DVD Burner/Player
3DForce MX4000 Series, NVIDIA GeForce4 MX4000 Video Card
Realtek AC'97 Audio (onboard)

etc.

I formatted the two SATA drives and set them up in a RAID 1 array using the onboard VIA SATA RAID plugs with a partition for XP-Pro, and leaving a sizeable unused part of the 160 GB for a second partition. I installed XP-Pro on the main RAID partition and planned to install the Beta version of XP 64-bit on the other partition, in other words. However, I wonder whether I can now establish a RAID array on the unused part of these two drives, since it seems the 64-bit RAID drivers are different and have to be accessed when setting up the RAID array that will be used by the Beta 64-bit version of XP. I think the unused part of the two drives was never even partitioned, just 'left over' from the main partition, which is, as I say, set up with a 32-bit VIA SATA RAID driver.

Perhaps I am worrying for nothing but I don't want to try to install 64-bit XP on the unused part of these drives and find I have damaged the SATA RAID 1 array I am using presently with XP-Pro. I don't want to have to reinstall that OS just to make it possible to tinker with the 64-bit OS, so if there's any risk here, I'd rather not. Another question is: how to set this up as a dual boot system given that it currently is a single boot OS.

Thanks for any advice you can give.
 03/05/2006 11:49 AM

Author Icon
CoolDudePT

I can't answer any of your question as I don't own a SATA HDD. But I can tell you XP x64 is final by now, not beta.

cya

-------------------------
Why can't you CTRL+Z in real life?
 03/05/2006 12:59 PM

Author Icon
potterjazz

quote:

Originally posted by: CoolDudePT
I can't answer any of your question as I don't own a SATA HDD. But I can tell you XP x64 is final by now, not beta.

cya

Yes, I think it was available in the second quarter of 2005 or so. I'm going to wait until I see whether *all* my programs and devices will run properly on the x64 platform before switching my license, I guess. Meantime, I'll use the beta for testing. Thanks for replying.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information