AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD Alchemy kit -- where/how to obtain? what to get?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/08/2006 12:55 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/08/2006 12:55 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Redhatter

Hi All,
First, I'm new to these forums, appologies if this is the wrong forum, there doesn't seem to be any forum for the Alchemy stuff.

I'm looking around for some information on where one could obtain a Alchemy development board (such as the DBAu1200). Ideally, I'm after something MIPS4 or MIPS64-based, but a MIPS32-based little endian board is still useful, as I can throw distcc jobs at it. :-)

This is the situation...

I look after the Gentoo/MIPS port to the Cobalt Qube{,2}/RaQ{,2}, which are small server appliances, based around the QED RM523{0,1} CPU (MIPS 4, little endian, no secondary cache). I have some more detail on the Cobalt server on my site.

Every 6 months or so, we all have to go build new stage tarballs and test them out, so they're ready for release. At the moment, I use a Qube2 to build the stages, which takes a good week or so. The lack of L2 cache on this CPU really hurts performance.

My machine's specs:CPU: QED RM5231 250MHzRAM: 128MB EDO (2x64MB, all slots full)OS: Gentoo/MIPS 2005.1 (Linux kernel 2.6.15 from linux-mips.org with patches from LinuxFromScratch.org)
My needs; I don't need any schematics or anything fancy. Essentially, IDE controller, one ethernet (10 or 100Mbit, it doesn't really matter), a decent-speed CPU (i.e. 300MHz or so) and a sizeable amount of RAM (stagebuilds require minimum, 128MB, but I'd prefer a little more), and RS-232 for a console.

Part of the work too... would involve the beginnings of a port of Gentoo/MIPS to the AMD Alchemy dev boards. At the moment, such a port is possible (it requires one to grab a Qube2, and use catalyst to build a stage3 tarball optimised for MIPS-2), but there's no kernels or stages officially provided, as none of us have the hardware to test them.

RouterBoard have some stuff that's close to what I want, but they lack the RAM required.

I've looked around on quite a few sites, and found companies either mention they offer solutions based on the Alchemy chipset but don't say how much they cost or how to purchase ... and the ones which do have web-shop fronts, don't mention any Alchemy kit whatsoever. Where abouts does one go (as a computer enthusiast, not a business) to get one of these boards?

Incidentally, are there any plans in amongst AMD's labs, to release any MIPS4/MIPS5/MIPS64 CPUs?

Regards,

-------------------------
Stuart Longland (a.k.a Redhatter)
Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt & Documentation Developer

I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on a tape somewhere...
 02/08/2006 12:34 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

PM Support 2

http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showuser=3

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

02/08/2006 10:41 PM

Author Icon
Redhatter

quote:

Originally posted by: MD Willington
PM Support 2

Hi,
PM has been sent... thanks for your time. :-)

Regards,

Stuart Longland (a.k.a Redhatter)
Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt & Documentation Developer

I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on a tape somewhere...
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information