Topic Title: Keyboards, Keyboards..
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/11/2006 06:57 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/11/2006 06:57 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Eh well....truthfully I'm getting SICK of this Dell keyboard that we are using on the Venice. It's just really stiff and hard to type fast with. Anyways...to me, a keyboard is a keyboard, but does anyone have one inparticular they think I should get? I mean I will probably just end up buying a cheap logitech keyboard, but I figured I'd ask in here first.

I don't need any special buttons, and even volume knobs are sorta useless to me, as I never use them.

Thanks.

-------------------------
My GT430 Is Folding For AMD Team 34106
FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
Thanks to KLEETUS for his generous donation of components!!
 03/11/2006 07:23 PM

Author Icon
Smogsy

my old lx300 u can get for £10-15 comes with sum extras like vol up down all media and email

faster reaible i had it for around 2 years no prob but i got the g-15
 03/11/2006 08:42 PM

Author Icon
ninjastyle

G-15 rocks. Expensive, but if you can get it for a good price, it's gotta be worth it. Anything that you come into contact with all the time like a keyboard or mouse should be a little bit special, IMO. I am lucky, Jester, being a total gent, was kind enough to help me out and offered me his old G-15 once his new one comes in, otherwise it's doubtful that I could get a brand new one. This current keyboard is absolutely driving me bonkers, though.

Every. Other. Key. Press. Doesn't. Work!

(notice how many edits I have to do in my posts?)...
 03/11/2006 09:03 PM

Author Icon
trickson

Logitech makes great keyboards . I love mine .
Wierless is the only way to go BTW.

EVGA 680i mobo , Q6600 @3.4GHz , Ultra Chill Tech CPU Cooler , BFG8800GT/OC , ASUS 8800GT 720/1000 video cards SLI with Tt DuOrb VGA cooler , Corsair XMS2 800MHz 4-4-4-10 2T 2GB RAM , rocketfish 700W PSU , LG Flatron L222WT monitor , Cmstacker Case , SMOKIN FAST!! .
 03/11/2006 09:08 PM

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

quote:

Originally posted by: ninjastyle
G-15 rocks. Expensive, but if you can get it for a good price, it's gotta be worth it. Anything that you come into contact with all the time like a keyboard or mouse should be a little bit special, IMO. I am lucky, Jester, being a total gent, was kind enough to help me out and offered me his old G-15 once his new one comes in, otherwise it's doubtful that I could get a brand new one. This current keyboard is absolutely driving me bonkers, though.

Every. Other. Key. Press. Doesn't. Work!

(notice how many edits I have to do in my posts?)...

why is he buying another? paint comign off?
my paint on the corners of the I and O is chipped at the corners
right before my warranty runs out or whenever it bothers me ill RMA

i dont think youll like the process though ninjastyle
prepare for a 25% increase at your rate

and technic
if you dont want any extra buttons (or lcd) get the eclipse if you want to spend that much
the lights are cool but the keyboard itself is really nice

The opinions expressed above exactly represent those of the Intel Corporation and all of its affiliates.
Official Intel™ Propaganda Spreader
"Bringing you the benchmarks that everyone knows are fake" ~ SINCE 2006 ~<!--
 03/11/2006 09:14 PM

Author Icon
ninjastyle

Yes, paint coming off the keys, I believe. Not something I'd expect from such an up-market keyboard, but AFAIK Logitech offered to replace his old one with a new one and allowed him to keep it.

I think I could deal with the processes, that's fine, I think the keyboard is worth it so no worries.
 03/11/2006 09:16 PM

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

wow ill have to remember to get extra angry on the phone so i can donate my old one too
better someone on here than the logitech plastic recycler

The opinions expressed above exactly represent those of the Intel Corporation and all of its affiliates.
 03/11/2006 09:24 PM

Author Icon
JesterOnYEr6

quote:

Originally posted by: TheReturnOfAZ
wow ill have to remember to get extra angry on the phone so i can donate my old one too
better someone on here than the logitech plastic recycler

Just call Logitech and give thhem the nubers off of yours and they will send you a new one no need to RAM. It seems the first ones had the paint problem but the newer ones it was fixed on. My son has one of the newer ones and he doesnt have the problem with his. ANyway as soon as they send me the new one I am shipping mine off to Ninja. BTW they have a 3 year warranty so no rush.

Phenom 9600 BE @ 2.5 ghz | Ati HD2900XT | OCZ Titanium XTC DDR800 4Gigs | MSI K9A2 Platinum | XFi Xtreme | Zalman 9700 | Enermax 620W | Dell 2405 | G7 | G15
 03/11/2006 09:38 PM

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

oh ok good thanks on the no rush
so you can just pop the old ones off thats great
im no longer worried

jeez and i was all scared
i dont have nerdishly long nails or anything but ive been clipping them like every week lately *just* for my keyboard and every time my friends or something mash onit i cringe
so now i dont have to worry anymore

and i think mine is a new one, the paint doesnt WEAR, im just saying it chipped on two keys, and it will ALWAYS chip

because i think if mine were suceptible to wear id already see soem on the home row, but none after 3mos+

actually jester this gives me a good idea
ive always considered the idea of taking all teh keys off and taking a file to all the edges so that i get an 'outline' around each key... would look AWESOME, esp since the unpolished edges would give a duller/less intense glow than the letters
but i was afraid id mess it up
but if i can just call logitech and be like "send me an enter, and a 4" and theyll give them to me im not sure i should worry, right?
you dont need to send back the old ones?

and to add to the above id probably only do the letters, not only would it save me a buttload of time, but itd look cool having only the alphabet emphasized

well maybe adding in there ; and everything on the 'interior' of the main section
because not even having home row matching would be not cool

and if they offer new numbers, why are they sending you a new one?

EDIT i think i just totally misunderstood that, by 'the numbers' do you mean the serial number? if so as soon as mine start to wear ill be getting a total replacement would be awesome
hard to say if that is better or worse than infinite key replacements
imagine the modding possibilities if you had 5 replacements for every key on the board

03/11/2006 09:49 PM

Author Icon
ninjastyle

quote:

Originally posted by: JesterOnYEr6 ANyway as soon as they send me the new one I am shipping mine off to Ninja.

A huge THANKS Jester. Can't wait.
 03/11/2006 11:29 PM

Author Icon
Silk_the_Absent1

On the subject of keyboards, does anyone know if you can get the keyboard in this set separately? I do not need or want the mouse, but that keyboard is comfortable. And my keyboard is starting to feel a bit long in the tooth.

-Adam
 03/11/2006 11:49 PM

Author Icon
ninjastyle

It has teeth?
 03/11/2006 11:52 PM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

ya..
plus long in the tooth = old

Overclocking Help and Links . Why DRM, BluRay and HD-DVD Blow Great tools-> OC Bible v1.52 and Guidemania v1.2
 03/11/2006 11:59 PM

Author Icon
Silk_the_Absent1

I like my keyboard, but the thing is starting to lose the hotkeys. The board itself is okay, but I use those hotkeys.

I just noticed that it only comes in the bundle, so I guess that's out the door.

Kensington has a nice laser set, I'll see how much that is. I don't need a mouse (I have an MX510 that is fine for me), so I'm hoping to save some money here.

-Adam

EDIT: This is the Kensington set I like otherwise, though, like I said, I don't need a mouse. Nor to spend that much money, or even half that.

-Adam
 03/12/2006 04:02 AM

Author Icon
Royal Flush
Alpha Geek

I use a very old ibm aptiva keyboard that I got from my First Pentium III (2000 dollars) and it was one of the first PIIIs made.
Any keyboard is fine, goto officemax and get one of those free ones.

zzzap!
 03/12/2006 04:05 AM

Author Icon
Smogsy

ninja i have the the g15 turned all processes of no lcd screen just say logitech but if u dont want run loads processes or not gaming you dont need a screen what the point
 03/12/2006 12:35 PM

Author Icon
ninjastyle

It all depends on how much reources those process use. If they're using a minimal amount, then there's no problem. If they are using lots, and the added functionality isn't worth it, then yeah I guess disable them. I'll know more when I actually try out the G-15, but to be honest I don't hear too many people complaining.
 03/12/2006 12:36 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Yeah, I have an older keyboard on the Prescott also, came with an older computer we had, a P2 233, 64MB RAM, FIC mainboard, etc. I like that one better than this one...this one is just really stiff.

Hmm...that Kensington combo looks nice...I really liked the mouse I just bought from them. May have to look at that, since the mouse here is also a cheap Dell ball mouse.

Anyone see anything cheaper though? I don't exactly need to replace the mouse, just the keyboard. And I'm changing the requirements a bit...it needs to be black, and it needs to be straight. Like..I don't want half the keys angled one way and half of them angled the other way, like the one Silk posted. Other than that... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
 03/12/2006 12:40 PM

Author Icon
ninjastyle

quote:

Originally posted by: technic58 it needs to be black, and it needs to be straight. Like..I don't want half the keys angled one way and half of them angled the other way, like the one Silk posted. Other than that... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Yeah, I hate split keyboards too!
 03/12/2006 12:46 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

quote:

Originally posted by: ninjastyle
Yeah, I hate split keyboards too!

Heh yeah...I don't really hate them, I've just never used them. Looking at them, I don't know if I could get used to it, and you have to remember Dad will be using this too. I'm thinking he would prefer a normal one.

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information