AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: confused between different HDD types...
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/15/2006 02:49 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/15/2006 02:49 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ahmadka

i am building a new system, and am confused in the different types of hard drives...all i knew upto now was the SATA, and EIDE,....but it seems there is actually a wider choice...

IDE Ultra ATA100
IDE Ultra ATA133
SCSI Ultra320 68pin
SCSI Ultra320 80pin
SATA 3 GB/s
SATA 1.5 GB/s
Serial ATA150

what is the difference in the above ???? A good tutorial would be very appreciated

-------------------------
Check out my New PC: Video Link

......................................................................................My Dream Rig v5.0 (FINAL)......................................................................................
 02/15/2006 07:14 AM

Author Icon
weing

Hi,

I guess can only say you only need to know about IDE, SATA and SATA 2, the SCSI are the raid cards, so those are practically quite costly and impractical for modern computer.

IDE hard disk has a transfer rate of 100MB/sec

SATA hard disk has a transfer rate of 150MB/sec

SATA 2 hard disk has a transfer rate of 300MB/sec

The advantage of SATA and SATA2 over IDE is the higher speed of transfer rate and the smaller and nicer cables that are connected to the motherboard compared to the big flat cables from IDE.

Wayne
 02/15/2006 08:37 AM

Author Icon
Prelude76

about SCSI, i've used some in a server, and two things: they are fast, and they are expensive. Also, unless you have a high-end server motherboard, you need a SCSI PCI adapter card, which alone could cost well over $150.

Even the fastest SATA2 drive, the WD Raptor that spins at 10k rpm, can't keep up with a high-performing SCSI. Some of them can go 15k rpm. but unless you're filthy rich, SCSI is not an option for you.

Between IDE and SATA, go with SATA. the SATA2 300 is a bit of a gimmick, coz even the fastest drives can't come close to saturating the SATA 150 bandwith, but think of it more like in future, it would be good to have up to 300mb/sec bandwith. So make sure your board has SATA2 connectors, but if buying a drive, there is no real difference in performance between SATA1 and SATA2 at the moment.

And forget IDE. The good drives with 16mb cache are quick, but the cables alone are reason to go with SATA instead, especially if you have a clear side panel and want a good looking system inside with good airflow.

two main things to watch for when picking a drive is rpm speed, and mb cache. the more of each, the better.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information