Increase font size
Topic Title: Good OCing Ram
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/17/2006 06:13 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/17/2006 06:13 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
MMB088

Well here's my deal, I'm sick home with the flu and am bored. For my system I think its been going to slow lately for whatever reason, maybe I'm just to used to it but I am doing more multitasking lately and have been using more ram. So to hold me over till christmas when I plan to build an AM2 system I'm looking at going to 2gbs of ram to speed up my system. Otherwise I'm sticking with my rig untill then which I'll list below so anyone can recomend what may be money best well spent. I think 2gbs of ram would help, espcially ram that may help me OC better to get more speed out of my proc as well.
System Specs

AMD 64 3400 Clawhammer running at 2.2ghz S754 (had it at 2.4ghz but figured it not worth it, that was as far as my ram would let me go)
2 74gb raptors in Raid 0
X850XT PCIE
MSI mobo, not sure of the model off the top of my head
Antec 480 Watt Neopower
1gb 512mb x 512mb Corsair value select
Antec Super Lan Boy
Creative Audigy 2

Just looking to upgrade the RAM really, I only have two slots so need 1gb sticks and can I just PC4000 even though I know my mobo doesn't offcially support it? As I figure that would help me get a better OC. My preferance is Corsair but I'm open to other good brands.

Otherwise only other upgrade I would consider doing is this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...asp?...N82E16819104257 If that starts to fall in price, given it has the IHS off already and equiped with good ram I figure I could get it up to at least 2.8 which would be a nice jump from my current 2.2. I mean its a mobile proc so probably 30-40watts, lower voltage, 90nm, this would seem to be a nice jump. My only worry would be heatsink installation. But other than that I'm done upgrading my system. Thanks for any input and suggestions.

-------------------------
Opie and Anthony on XM Satelite Radio!

Now also on FM stations in NYC, Boston, Philly, Pittsburgh, Washington DC, Rochester, Columbus OH, Cleveland, Detroit, West Palm Beach, Dallas, Chicago, San Fran and some other cities, their pretty much nationwide now, google it.

http://www.opieandanthony.com/

The Virus is spreading..... get infected
 02/17/2006 06:14 PM

Author Icon
Smogsy

g skill is good ocing ram
 02/17/2006 06:16 PM

Author Icon
CouGaR

Yea, I would say G.Skill as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...asp?...N82E16820231021

Yes, you can use PC4000 even if your board doesn't officially support that speed. I'm doin' it right now.

02/17/2006 06:17 PM

Author Icon
bp1019

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...asp?...N82E16820231021 Right there is what I bet Smogsy was referring to. Great performance, great price.

EDIT: Ah, Cougar beat me to it. Nice Sig btw Cougar.

-Proud owner of a DFI because chicks dig "Big" OCs
Repsgaminglounge
 02/17/2006 06:22 PM

Author Icon
MMB088

Two more questions then, even though it says dual channel and S754 doesnt support dual channel, it should be fine as its dependent on the mobo and not the ram whether its dual channel or not?

And as for the faster RAM that does allow you generally to OC better correct?

I think the biggest question is now will the ram fit next to my heatsink as I had a hard enough time getting my ram in w\o a heatsink, well could always take it off.

But there wouldnt be any problem if my ram is making physical contact with my cpy heatsink would there? I mean heck I could only think it would help it cool better with the fan nearby.

Now also on FM stations in NYC, Boston, Philly, Pittsburgh, Washington DC, Rochester, Columbus OH, Cleveland, Detroit, West Palm Beach, Dallas, Chicago, San Fran and some other cities, their pretty much nationwide now, google it.

02/17/2006 06:25 PM

Author Icon
CouGaR

The RAM can do dual channel. If the socket let's it, then it will, if not, it won't, no problems there.

Yes, faster RAM is GENERALLY better for overclocking.

The CPU heatsink will most likely be warmer that the RAM itself, so I would advise to NOT let them touch. Also, you need to actively cool performance RAM, especially when overclocking it. Try and point a fan at them in some way or another.

02/17/2006 06:29 PM

Author Icon
MMB088

Yeah for dual channel I figured that as much.

I guess the only real question is now is if they'll fit.

Thats my mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...asp?...N82E16813130493

With that heatsink

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...asp?...N82E16835118115

So between those two I have almost no clearance (with the ram installed) on the first slot. So I'll have to take a look and see how much ram I have. And see if I can get another fan nearby.

02/17/2006 06:32 PM

Author Icon
CouGaR

How does your current RAM fit? I really don't know what to tell you here. You need to work with it, and see what you can do to adjust....

02/17/2006 06:34 PM

Author Icon
r3sil3

nice cpu.....what abotu crucial ballistix

NO PC As Of NOW!

I'll still be on here once in a while.
 02/17/2006 06:37 PM

Author Icon
MMB088

quote:

Originally posted by: CouGaR
How does your current RAM fit? I really don't know what to tell you here. You need to work with it, and see what you can do to adjust....

It fits, just really really close to the heatsink. It doesnt touch now but with a heatsink on the RAM it might. So I don't know I'll measure it out or [content edited], maybe back to the stock heatsink I could defintely use it then. I wouldnt be buying till march anyway so its nothing urgent.

quote:

Originally posted by: r3sil3
nice cpu.....what abotu crucial ballistix

Nah the CPU I linked to is what I would consider getting if I don't get enough of a speedboost out of more ram.

02/17/2006 06:50 PM

Author Icon
r3sil3

Your telling me that the 7700 Zalman fits on that board and doesnt touch your ram? Hrmm.......

Mine loosk like it has more room than that and I was worried about the 7000....THanks.

Also, I almost got that Mobile Athlon one day.....but im scared to ruin the core if i put a heatsink on it.

Also, how does that motherbaord OC? I was thinking of getting a new board and that one looks fantastic.

NO PC As Of NOW!

02/17/2006 07:10 PM

Author Icon
MMB088

Well right now my one stick of ram is entirely under the heatsink, and it does clear it w\o touching it, just barely but when in its socket it doesnt touch the heatsink. See thing was I used that heatsink on my old Asus board before it died and it had a differnt ram location.

I really like the board myself, has AGR which works with some AGP video cards, it has a list of certified one on their site. And for OCing it did a good job just my ram defintely held me back, I got the BSOD citing my ram and memtest failed quickly when OCing cause I have value ram.

I'll reboot now and check the specs the bios does for OCing, one moment.

Ok OCing specs to it are:

CPU Bus Frequency can go from 200mhz-400mhz up by 1mhz at a time or how ever many you choose and can go down to 190mhz.
HT Freq Can do 1x 1.5x 2x 2.5x 3x 4x
PCIE Clock up to 145mhz from 100mhz
CPU Voltage up to 1.55 and down to .825
Mem voltage from 2.5 2.6 2.65 2.7 2.75 2.8 2.85
Also it has the option of auto overclocking your system for you up to 11% automatically through the bios.

02/17/2006 08:22 PM

Author Icon
r3sil3

OH WOW I may buy that ........My Bus Freq stops at 300 and is a hinder.....

What are the RAM dividers? 133,166,200,216,233,250?

Thanks.!

NO PC As Of NOW!

02/17/2006 08:34 PM

Author Icon
MMB088

As before give me a minute to reboot and get you the results.

02/17/2006 08:41 PM

Author Icon
r3sil3

hehe thanks man.....i just cant stand this motherboard, its so limity.

NO PC As Of NOW!

02/17/2006 08:59 PM

Author Icon
MMB088

And only thing I could get in referance to memory dividers is that it does 100, 133, 166, and 200.

02/17/2006 09:49 PM

Author Icon
chubbyfatazn

ANYHOO BACK ON TOPIC

ballistix and gskill is pretty good, both for ocing. meh, im going with the ballistix, but if if fails, then im dumpin back on newegg's balls and im gettin some gskill.

planning for pc4000 ballistix (the failing ones, i know) so i can underclock it to pc3200 @ 2-2-2-5 (my mobo doesnt handle great ocing, gotta get a new one). my old corsair xms hit ddr460 but that was cause of the mobo's fault... couldnt bump up voltage to cpu...

Athlon 64 3700+ @ 2.75GHz, 1.47v
DFI LanParty CFX-3200 (BIOS 4/25/06)
2x1gb Crucial Ballistix PC4000 RAM @ PC3500
WD Raptor 74GB (boot), Seagate Barracuda SATAII 250GB (storage)
Radeon X1900XT Xfire Edition @ 732/865 @ 1.475v/2.094v
Cors
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information