AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: $25K+ cant view HD, much less edit the content.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/25/2007 02:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/25/2007 02:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Workard

I have been struggling with the task of building my dream pc for the past 45 days; a task I had thought would be enjoyable. I set out in early October '07 searching for the ideal base pc configuration that I could expand upon to ultimately produce a unique product capable of producing, viewing, and editing HD content (both Blue-ray and HD DVD) including Adobe PS9 files, operate as media server to multiple "extenders" delivering/recording/archiving on demand streaming and local service broadcasts, process media as a high-end entertainment center, and deliver the daily operational and networking features for a business that can be expected from a workstation. I started with a pre-configured HP xw9400 workstation w/ Business Vista OS (paired-duel AMD 2218 CPU's, have 8 Gig but goes up to 64 Gig Ram, duel Nvidia GeForce 8800 Ultra GPU's w/ SLI enabled) mainly for the upgrade and networking potential and changed gears to build an extreme gamer (not for games) as the graphics, processing, and memory needs are similar to the resources required for a windows based content creation pc. I added several HDD's to surpass 2 TB in storage memory, SB X-Fi Fatal1ty Sound, Dvico Fusion HD Qam Tuners, 1200W Cooler Master Power Supply, a Sony BWU-200S BlueRay burner and a host of HD editing software/v-a decoders/codec's such as PS Masters Ed. #8 and Cyberlink Power DVD Ultra and Nero Ultra #7 etc., etc. All updates for my 32 bit OS and software including all the latest hardware drivers have been installed and my display, an HP LP2465 capable of producing 3800x2360dpi with duel DVI inputs is enabled with DHCP.
After "pulling hair" for the last 16 hours in a failed attempt to view just one of my 10 commercially produced BlueRay DVD's, I landed on this blog, red eyed and head ached in the realization that I just surpassed the $25K mark for this project, hoping for answers. I have a sneaky suspicion that my motherboard is traitorous since HP has refused to furnish me with the exact model of my system board on four attempts. I am beginning to believe this was by design to allow tech support an option on difficult configs to claim that any customer preferred after market hardware is "incompatible" with their motherboard. If this is true than it means that HP, who claim that any HP system configuration containing hardware that has not been pre-certified by HP, is NOT supported by HP. Since they refuse to supply system board details and a search of their ENTIRE product line reveals NO Blue-ray/HD DVD burners, how can they claim to produce and support even the most basic level of media creation pc? The facts are that they can not.
Back to my dilemma, what am I to do? Some of my research suggests that a 64bit OS will solve some of my as yet "invisible" conflicts and my Opteron CPU's have the unique advantage of operating in both 32 and 64 bit formats offering a tiny possibility. If so, how can this be accomplished without disturbing the functionality of my existing applications? It would be great if you could direct me to a download or fix that will take me to the Promised Land! Help me, anyone? Is anyone there?
 11/25/2007 05:32 PM

Author Icon
SpIk3y

OK that's one giant wall of text. So to clarify the problem - you can't view HD and BluRay DVDs? When you say "failed attempt to view", exactly what do you mean - does the PC crash, freeze, give you an error message, etc? What software are you attempting to play these DVDs with?

I don't see how a faulty motherboard would affect the playing of HD media, but I'm no expert. I'm thinking the problem lies in your software setup, but I would need to know exactly what errors/problems the computer is exhibiting.

-------------------------

11/25/2007 05:32 PM

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

Wow this was a LONG post...if I understand your situation correctly, you can't play Blu-Ray discs, right? You will probably need to get drivers from Sony's web site for your Bluray burner:

http://sony.storagesupport.com/blu-ray/bwu-200s.htm

Hope this keeps your $25,000 from going to waste.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information