Increase font size
Topic Title: Dual core Athlon, BUT only one core is loading
Topic Summary: Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Created On: 11/15/2008 12:37 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/15/2008 12:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
NetSpace

I upgraded to a dual core a few months ago and noticed I did not see any performance increase, so I downloaded PC tools to see what was going on. It appears core two is not taking any load even when core 1 is maxed out (100%) I downloaded and installed the drivers. Some one told me about Everest but it made no diff in diagnosing.

Could this be a bad chip? How can I determine it is is bad?

MB Asus A8N-E Socket 939 - 4Gigs DDR-SDRAM - ChipSet, nVidia nForce4

-------------------------
Dual Core Athlon X64, Dual Quad Opteron, with 750gig Raid 5, 1Tb external backup, .5tb internal stripped raid for speed.
 11/17/2008 03:43 PM

Author Icon
Firestrider

What operating system are you using?

Did you uninstall your processor drivers before installing the dual-core processor?

I'm guessing its the same motherboard but if it isn't did you uninstall the drivers before installing the new one?
 11/17/2008 05:44 PM

Author Icon
NetSpace

no, i did not. AMD says I need to do a fresh install of XP 64

Dual Core Athlon X64, Dual Quad Opteron, with 750gig Raid 5, 1Tb external backup, .5tb internal stripped raid for speed.
 11/17/2008 06:06 PM

Author Icon
Firestrider

Yeah, that is what I would do when getting new hardware... that is if you can still activate.
 02/17/2009 03:20 PM

Author Icon
infiltrator
Linux Ninja

It's always a good idea to do a fresh install after any major hardware upgrade, especially motherboard or cpu. Windows looks for specific info on the initial install and 'hardcodes' this into windows. Once the os is installed it won't easy notice difference after some hardware is changed and in most cases will run only at partial speed until you do a full reinstall.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 02/17/2009 03:50 PM

Author Icon
NetSpace

That is what I surmissed. I put another drive in the computer and installed Vista Ultimate as a dual boot and it recognized the dual core.

The problem I have with reinstalling XP is all programs need reinstalling. (30+ of them) I remember windows 3.1 was not that way but with the regisrtry holding all the program info and dlls etc. It is a chore. Vista really sux and even if it is a little slower XP was more compatible with even microdsoft programs, like expressions web which locks up two or 3 times a day on Vista 64.

Vista is the ME of 2007-2008

BUT!!! I did not have to do it with my 32 bit XP. (have to run 32bit) I had a dual core Opteron, then exchanged it for a quad core, later added another quad core and it was just as easy as pie. So it sees all 8 cores, and the first time I booted.

Edited: 02/17/2009 at 05:15 PM by NetSpace
 02/20/2009 11:37 PM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

There was a big difference between your two upgrade scenarios. The machine you just upgraded was a single core machine upgraded to a dual core, while the other one was a dual core upgraded to a quad. The difference lies in the fact that the first machine had its OS installed using a single core CPU and loaded the uniprocessor kernel (NTSOKRNL) and the second machine was installed using a dual core CPU, which loaded the multiprocessor kernel (NTOSKRPML). If you already have the multiprocessor kernel loaded, it can support any number of cores from two to 32. That is why your dual -> quad upgrade went okay. However, the uniprocessor kernel will only support one core, which is why your new dual core chip only shows one core to the OS.

You can go into device manager and go to Computer and then where it says "ACPI Uniprocessor PC," uninstall that entry. At reboot, it should detect you have >1 core and load the multiprocessor kernel.

02/22/2009 01:05 PM

Author Icon
NetSpace

I looked where you said.

1. the device driver is in windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
2. the Device driver indicates "ACPI Multiprocessor x64-based PC"
3. Both the processors are shown as active in device manger under processors.

4. The Task manager still only shows one processor.

where can I find that driver, NTSOKRML.exe I searched for it but is doesn't show up on the web. I can change the references in the registry and point to the right driver.

02/22/2009 02:41 PM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

Your system has the right kernel loaded and is working properly. The task manager is just set to show one graph for all CPUs instead of one graph per CPU. All you need to do is change that view setting and you will see two cores in your task manager.

02/23/2009 09:51 AM

Author Icon
NetSpace

I already had it set to read two Cores, However I can not tell you what or why but after all these machinations the second core is showing up! I now have to figure out why my sound card lost its driver and functionality. thanks for your input. I am sure you provided the key. As I said I do not know what did it but it is showing up now.

Thanks

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information