Increase font size
Topic Title: Amd processor for hyper-V
Topic Summary: which amd processor?
Created On: 03/09/2009 06:25 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/09/2009 06:25 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
pgtech77

Hi,

Can anyone please guide me which amd processor supports the hyper-v.Is athlon 64X2 brisbane ok for that?What to look for when buying processor?Also which motherboard is recommended?please help as soon as possible

Thanks
Puneet
 03/10/2009 10:51 PM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

Originally posted by: pgtech77

Hi,

Can anyone please guide me which amd processor supports the hyper-v.Is athlon 64X2 brisbane ok for that?What to look for when buying processor?Also which motherboard is recommended?please help as soon as possible

Thanks

Puneet

Almost every socket AM2, AM2+, AM3, or socket F processor supports the AMD secure virtual machine extensions you'd need for Hyper-V. The Athlon 64 X2 Brisbane does support those extensions and will be fine for that, although more recent AMD processors like the Phenom and Phenom II have improvements to the extensions.

-------------------------
 03/21/2009 09:40 AM

Author Icon
twtv

Hey Puneet,

Good to see this post.

Even I am looking for a similer machine.
In Xeon, the best budget-need ratio fit is Xeon E5420 with SV5000VSAR MotherBoard which supports Virtualization and a RAM of upto 16 GB. I am getting this for 40K whcih is a little over my budget.

I have leant AMD is way cheaper and better! I am not aware of any AMD products or their deeper specifications much as of now but by next week, I'll gather enogh info.

I am working with Microsoft and need a test server on whcih I may establish my Virtual Labs. I will use Hyper-V mostly. I will install Windows 2008 R2 64 Bit as the Host OS, 4 Windows 2003 Servers with Exchange 2007 on one of them as Virtual Machines, one Windows-7 Virtual Client, One Vista Virtual Client on Hyper-V. Later, I'll deploy Sharepoint on the Host 2008 OS itself.

Please keep in mind that this is just a TEST Server and will never be in production hence it just should be fast enough to take the software processing requirement of itself. There will be no clients hopping the server resources and taking up its share of processng resource hence just think that way when you make suggestions.

Now, in AMD, fisrts of all, there are limmited tools on the website to help me find the right motherboard and chasis. I went thru http://www.amd.com/us-en/asset...46808B_AMDIntelCom.pdf and saw that almost all AMD processors have lesser L2. It is concerning.

Any suggestions which 64 Bit processor+motherboard with Virtualization technology will be best.

What have you found so far?

Would love to discuss it with you as you will understand my budget and cost-benefi better.

With Regars,
Amit Saxena
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information