Increase font size
Topic Title: G34 Workstation?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/18/2010 12:49 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/18/2010 12:49 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AlonzoTG

I am becoming a bit uneasy about the future availability of G34 workstation motherboards. All the existing dual-socket motherboards are made either for blade servers or have minimal built-in graphics and relatively poor IO capabilities. I'm happy that hey don't have sound cards, but I want more general purpose IO including enough for high end nvidia graphics card and a few good slots for future needs such as DSP and MMP accelerator boards.

I appreciate the space constraints imposed by the size of the G34 socket. Hopefully a solution can be found that will still fit in a E-ATX chassis even if it has to be a bit wider than spec.

My dual K7 Athlon is still as kick )( as it ever was but the flaming software has gotten exponentially worse so therefore I need that much more power. =( I intend to buy around June 15 and I don't know what I am going to do if the board guys don't have product by then. =(
 04/19/2010 02:48 PM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

There are some EATX-compatible dual G34 boards. TYAN's S8230 and 8236 are normal EATX boards, so is ASUS's KGPE-D16. Supermicro has the H8DGU series that use a goofy riser card and are L-shaped, but they are supposed to fit in an EATX case. Just avoid the handful of long skinny "twin server" boards and you'll be fine. You will need to get a discrete GPU for any board you get, but servers have had crappy rudimentary onboard graphics for ages.

If you want what's basically a G34 desktop board, the Supermicro H8SGL-F is a normal ATX-sized single-socket G34 board with a typical assortment of PCIe and PCI slots.

If you want a G34 board with a lot of I/O capacity, Supermicro's dual-northbridge H8QGi-F and H8QG6-F are the boards for you. They have 60-some-odd PCI Express lanes available since they have two northbridges (SR5690+SR5670) compared to other G34 boards' single SR5690 northbridge. The only downsides with those units is that they're huge (16.5" by 13.0") quad-socket boards that cost about $300-500 more than a typical dual-socket board (one vendor quoted me $830 and $930 for the H8QGi-F and H8QG6-F, respectively.) I'm personally looking at getting a H8QG6-F and building a custom case for it.

-------------------------
 04/19/2010 05:47 PM

Author Icon
AlonzoTG

Yeah, I made the mistake of buying my case 6 months ago. =( Blew a lot of green on that baby! =P

Also, I had never heard of a power supply that has 2 8-pin connectors on it. (Blew a pretty penny on an Antec that's only twice as powerful as my current supply...) I think I can get it to work by using an adaptor on the secondary "P4" connector and a drive connector, barely.

I've been watching the other vendors but google does not seem to know about any boards other than supermicro and Tyan. Vendors such as Asus, MSI, Giga-byte seem to have product only for the previous generation. =\

(I think the Asus board has been withdrawn, It is not a workstation board anyway.)

I was not planning to buy a 4P board until 2012, and then for a scientific app, not a desktop. =\
 04/20/2010 04:05 PM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

Originally posted by: AlonzoTG

Yeah, I made the mistake of buying my case 6 months ago. =( Blew a lot of green on that baby! =P

Good cases can be very expensive, particularly if they are decent-sized. The least-expensive new case I've seen that will fit a quad-socket board like the Supermicro units is the Akiwa GHS-2000, which is about $450 plus however much it is to ship a 97-pound case (probably 105-110 pounds shipping weight.)

Also, I had never heard of a power supply that has 2 8-pin connectors on it. (Blew a pretty penny on an Antec that's only twice as powerful as my current supply...) I think I can get it to work by using an adaptor on the secondary "P4" connector and a drive connector, barely.

Most new PSUs rated at 1000 watts or better now have two 8-pin connectors. Some in the 750-1000 watt range do as well. You can get P4-to-EPS12V (the official name for the 8-pin) adapters that will work. You can also get PCI Express-to-EPS12V adapters, dual Molex-to-EPS12V adapters, and even add-on modular EPS12V cables for some PSUs.

I've been watching the other vendors but google does not seem to know about any boards other than supermicro and Tyan. Vendors such as Asus, MSI, Giga-byte seem to have product only for the previous generation. =\

I haven't seen anybody carrying the ASUS KGPE-D16, but ASUS says it exists. MSI is supposed to be bringing in a dual Socket C32 board, but I haven't heard anything about G34 boards. I think Gigabyte had dropped out of the workstation board market some time ago.

(I think the Asus board has been withdrawn, It is not a workstation board anyway.)

I wouldn't think it has been withdrawn unless they ran into huge problems.

I was not planning to buy a 4P board until 2012, and then for a scientific app, not a desktop. =\

I'm going with a 4P board because the 2P and 4P boards take the same CPUs and I want to be able to expand later without buying a new board. The only issues with getting a 4P board are that they're somewhat more expensive but mostly that they're an unusual large size that demands a custom or uncommon and very expensive server case.

04/26/2010 12:14 PM

Author Icon
PhilB

I am becoming a bit uneasy about the future availability of G34 workstation motherboards. All the existing dual-socket motherboards are made either for blade servers or have minimal built-in graphics and relatively poor IO capabilities. I'm happy that hey don't have sound cards, but I want more general purpose IO including enough for high end nvidia graphics card and a few good slots for future needs such as DSP and MMP accelerator boards.

I appreciate the space constraints imposed by the size of the G34 socket. Hopefully a solution can be found that will still fit in a E-ATX chassis even if it has to be a bit wider than spec.

The ASUS KGPE-D16 is up on Newegg for $420.

As with any new socket type, manufacturers tend to start releasing new boards a couple months after the release of a cpu. With AMD's smaller market share in the server world, I think they were a little reluctant to push money into development. It is just a matter of time before the boards become available.

Phil
----------
System Specs:

2x Opteron 6128
Asus KGPE-16
8x Kingston 4Gb 1333Mhz DDR3 w/ ECC, Registered, Parity
OCZ Vertex2 50gb (OS)
2x WD Blue 500Gb (Data storage)
PowerColor 5770
3x Viewsonic 19" widescreen at 1680x1050
Coolermaster ATCS-840 case
Coolermaster UCP 1100W
Installed OS: Win2008
VirtualBox OSs: Ubuntu/Fedora/Win2k/WinXp/Dos/Vista (set up to use second keyboard and mouse)
 07/27/2010 08:08 PM

Author Icon
bitplayer
Lurker

Originally posted by: PhilB

The ASUS KGPE-D16 is up on Newegg for $420.

As with any new socket type, manufacturers tend to start releasing new boards a couple months after the release of a cpu. With AMD's smaller market share in the server world, I think they were a little reluctant to push money into development. It is just a matter of time before the boards become available.
 07/27/2010 08:14 PM

Author Icon
bitplayer
Lurker

Sorry about the duplication as this is my first use of the forum.

The question was for PhilB as he has a system I am looking to match for my research project. Have you any benchmarks regarding quad channel memory bandwidth on your system?
 11/12/2010 05:02 AM

Author Icon
bfburkejr
Lurker

Hey Alonzo'
I have the Asus board and it works gret for me for a work station. It's in a Big Thermal take caseholds up to 12 or so hard drives. My programs are on a solid state drive which speeds things up. Also I hear AMD is going to come out with 16 core cpu's. The board hold 256 Gig of ram might just meet your needs...
Brian

I am not a gamer, I make music on the computer. I have always prefered AMD CPU'S for some reason. Just on here to learn som stuff. Oh yeah....I suck at typing...
 11/12/2010 06:13 AM

Author Icon
quranonline
Lurker

good work keep it up......

No Advertising. A.M.
 11/26/2010 04:04 PM

Author Icon
erslageorge
Lurker

AMD G34 workstation is a Type of mother Board. which is available in following specs .

8230CAD

2 x Opterontm 6100

AMD SR5690 + SP5100

UP TO 128MB/DDR3R-1333

(1) ATI / NVIDIA FX
TYAN B8812

4 x Opterontm 6100

AMD SR5690 + SP5100

UP TO 256MB/DDR3R-1333

(1) ATI / NVIDIA FX
CUBE SERVER

4 x Opterontm 6100

AMD SR5690 + SP5100

UP TO 256MB/DDR3R-1333

(1) Aspeed AST2050
8230-TOWER SERVER

2 x Opterontm 6100

AMD SR5690 + SP5100

UP TO 128MB/DDR3R-1333

(1) Aspeed AST2050
8230-RACK SERVER

2 x Opterontm 6100

AMD SR5690 + SP5100

UP TO 128MB/DDR3R-1333

(1) Aspeed AST2050
2022G-URF

2 x Opterontm 6100

AMD SR5690 + SP5100

UP TO 128MB/DDR3R-1333

(1) Matrox G200 16MB
242G6RF
board. adn

erslageorge
 12/03/2010 04:52 PM

Author Icon
PhilB

Sorry I disappeared for 4 months due to some personal issues. The bandwidth is unknown for my machine. The version of Everest doesnt understand how my board operates so it has no way to accurately measure it. I think the last time I tried it, the speed rating was something around a P4. So, its a bit hopeless on measurements.

Phil
----------
System Specs:

2x Opteron 6128
Asus KGPE-16
8x Kingston 4Gb 1333Mhz DDR3 w/ ECC, Registered, Parity
OCZ Vertex2 50gb (OS)
2x WD Blue 500Gb (Data storage)
PowerColor 5770
3x Viewsonic 19" widescreen at 1680x1050
Coolermaster ATCS-840 case
Coolermaster UCP 1100W
Installed OS: Win2008
VirtualBox OSs: Ubuntu/Fedora/Win2k/WinXp/Dos/Vista (set up to use second keyboard and mouse)
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information