Increase font size
Topic Title: will this water block work with G34 or C32 sockets
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/28/2011 11:33 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/28/2011 11:33 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
3dfx
Lurker

so I', thinking of building a amd server

I need to know if my WB will work with G34 or C32 sockets

I have this WB in my current system
http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0329736

and this bracket
http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/shop/bl...amd-black.html

will it work with a G34 or C32 socket motherboard
 03/01/2011 04:22 PM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

Your links do not work. However, I found your thread on Guge3D and found that you have the EK Supreme HF Universal. It will work with Socket C32, although it is not listed as being officially compatible, since C32 uses the same bolt pattern as Sockets 754, 939, and 940. You would need to follow the Socket 754/939/940 instructions and use the bolt holes in the middle of each side of the retention bracket.

No EK water block fits Socket G34 since the bolt holes on G34 are spaced farther apart than on Socket C32 or any AMD desktop socket. The only water block that fits G34 is the Koolance CPU-360, which is about $90 per block. Your best bet to cool a Socket G34 CPU is the Thermaltake CL0017 or Dynatron A6 if you want to not spend a bundle on heatsinks, and Noctua's U9DO-A3 or U12DO-A3 if you want a very quiet heatsink and don't mind paying a pretty hefty premium for it.

-------------------------
 03/01/2011 08:54 PM

Author Icon
3dfx
Lurker

thanks for the info MU_Engineer

I see that Socket G34 motherboards have screw on the corners if the socket
and spots that look like they can be drilled out (marked by redish circles)
I wonder if they will line up with the bracket

fixed links
http://www.microcenter.com/sin...duct_id=0329736

http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/s...supreme-amd-black.html
 03/06/2011 10:16 PM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

Do NOT drill through the motherboard, you will ruin it! Just stick with the two-bolt 4.1" blocks and save yourself from ruining a very expensive G34 motherboard.

03/10/2011 04:23 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

Thermal epoxy might be a solution also. You'd need to do the freezer trick if you ever wanted to get it off again, but it's a better solution than drilling holes in your board if you can't find any other way to mount your block.

Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
 04/21/2011 01:51 AM

Author Icon
4P_Bulldozer
Fanboi

Originally posted by: 3dfx
so I', thinking of building a amd server
I need to know if my WB will work with G34 or C32 sockets

Do not drill a multilayer Motherboard.

I have these suggestions:

1. Koolance now has the CPU-370 for $85 plus G34 Bolts for another $2.

2. The cuplex kryos Delrin (for Socket G34) is Euro40 or from AquaTuning for $50.

3. This Thread at Hardforum show how 'sfield' made metal plates to allow EK WaterBlocks to fit on G34
(LGA 1974) Sockets. It is as easy as this Detailed Gallery shows. Here is what they look like unfinished:

When you are finished it could look like this:

I would not advise you plumb 4 Processors in series though. It would be better to have a very large tubing divided
(with a Y) into two (or better, 4) separate input circuits (so that all the cool water entering each Processor is at the
same temperature). The way 'sfield' has it set up the last Core will always be warmer unless the water is running
at extra super high pressure (certain to cause a leak) .

In a different Thread at Overclockers.co.uk 'BaBa' used a second Radiator in the middle of a single loop (still doesn't
sound good to me) and got these temps "36c 36c 37c 38c"; note the unevenness. They are overclocking there so they
would not want different temps even if it is only 2 degrees.

Those measurements are only a half hour old so things will change as it heats up and not for the better. He needs to "Y"
in and out of the Rads (since they are not equal size). Based on the Parts he has a better way would be to place those
two Rads on both sides of the Pump instead of one in-between the Processors (on a single loop) and "Y" out of the Pump
to a 'partial 2-circuit' (for each pair) so the first two Processors don't heat up the last two.

Here is an ugly trick from 'Patriot' in the G34 ES Thread at Hardforum.

I hope that helps you and anyone else considering G34 watercooling.

Edited: 04/21/2011 at 06:41 AM by 4P_Bulldozer
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information