Increase font size
Topic Title: Workstation board with AM3+ socket
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/14/2011 11:42 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/14/2011 11:42 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
trinita
Lurker

Hi

I am planning to change my C2SBX workstation board for intel775 and i want to move to AMD

I would like a cpu such as a 65w TDP llano, but i need a mobo with the following specs:

2 PCI-X 64 slots
2 PCI slots
3 pci-e slots

(it is ok if it has 1 PCI and 4 pci-e, but i still need the 2 PCI-X 64 )

at least 4 SATA ports, but 6 or more is better

and since llano has integrated video, it would be nice if it has also video output in order to use it

any suggestion?
 05/17/2011 11:45 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

Sorry, but that combination just doesn't exist.

1. PCI-X is a server expansion slot and AM3+ is a consumer socket. You will NOT find any AM3+ boards with a PCI-X slot.

2. PCI-X is a legacy expansion slot and has decidedly been replaced by PCI Express due to greater bandwidth and compatibility of parts in different-sized slots. No current chipset has native PCI-X support and any PCI-X slots you see are fed through a PCIe-to-PCI-X switch.

3. No current AMD motherboards I know of have any PCI-X slots and only a small handful of current Intel motherboards do. The closest thing to what you want is the Supermicro H8SSL-i2, which is a apparently a single-plane Socket AM2 motherboard that has limited capability to take dual/triple/quad-core AM3 CPUs (NO six-cores.) It also only has one PCI-X/133 MHz slot, not two.

I did some looking and probably the best way for you to go would be to get the C2SBX's successor, the LAG1366 X8SAX. It has two PCI-X/133 MHz slots, two PCIe 2.0 x16, one PCIe 1.1 x8, and one 32-bit/33 MHz conventional PCI slot. Either that or you can shell out for PCIe-to-PCI-X active riser cards at roughly $150 a pop or replace your legacy PCI-X cards with PCIe ones.

-------------------------
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information