Increase font size
Topic Title: FirePro V5800 Win7 64-bit install PAINFUL
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/26/2012 06:34 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/26/2012 06:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mdoerner1
Lurker

Hi Guys,

The short answer here: The FirePro installation software DOES NOT WORK on windows 7 64-bit. I had to do it manually, and I'm not certain I got everything on that I should.

Here's the long answer....

I got tired of my Nvidia 9600 GSO card an needed a Workstation card that was reasonable priced. I got a V5800 FirePro card from Newegg. Initially I just pulled the old card, installed the new card and tried to install the new drives. No dice. I re-installed the NV 9600 GSO the uninstalled the drivers (like the directions said I should) and then installed the new V5800 card.

The new drivers I used with the AutoDetect utility downloaded fine, began to install, then after the Install/Uninstall screen, there was no follow up screen asking to Express/Custom install....eventually things just kinda petered out and stopped altogether.

So just for grin I yanked the card out again and used the onboard Radeon 3300 on my motherboard and tried to see if that would install. That installation went flawlessly. So I went back to the V5800.

Upon reboot the driver said it didn't like the card....GREAT! (Not sarcastic, I mean actually joyous.... ) At least the Radeon driver wasn't working when the FirePro driver should have been.

So I try to install the FirePro drivers again (8.911.3.3 the current version) chokes after the Install/Uninstall screen before it. So I try the previous versions....THEY ALL CHOKE AT THE SAME POINT.

So in desperation...I go to the command line and "SETUP.EXE -INSTALL" and it SEEMS to be installing....but it never ends....so I reboot.

Finally, I look to try to install just the video driver. Someone mentioned if you go to the \PACKAGES\DRIVERS\DISPLAY\W76A_INF directory that you can install the driver. I double clicked on the 1st EXE in the directory, it began to install the VISTA drivers, then a prompt came up politely asking if I wanted to run CADALYST. YEP! Sure enough, I could get the driver to install. Since then I have individually install the control center, hydravision, etc.

PLEASE FIX THE BLOODY AUTOMATED INSTALLATION PROGRAM SO I DON'T HAVE TO DO THIS IN THE FUTURE PLEASE!!!!!!

Now I do have one problem with the control center. When I start it, it does not recognize my video card, so I can't adjust my video settings within the Control Center. Everything else seems to be working.

Other than that, I like the video card (so far)....

Mike Doerner
 04/28/2012 01:27 PM

Author Icon
mdoerner1
Lurker

Still having the bug where the FirePro installer will not run. This is where the bug reports are submitted, right?

Mike Doerner
 04/30/2012 05:54 PM

Author Icon
mdoerner1
Lurker

Hallooooooooo?

Mike D
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information