Increase font size
Topic Title: IOMMU compatibility Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/06/2012 11:41 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/06/2012 11:41 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
thorgas
Lurker

Hello,

i like to set up a Desktop PC based on the AMD FX-8120 using IOMMU for the direct use of my Graphics Card (HD 7870) within the guest system in a VM (VGA Passthorugh) using Linux as host OS.
Because I can't find any definite information on the IOMMU compatiblity of my preferred mainboard (Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3) I thought of asking you.

If you don't know too, can you advice me a mainboard having the specs like the one I chose supporting IOMMU?
Is there a global rule what models/chipsets support IOMMU? (read of 970 and 990 chipsets having support)
Is IOMMU support directly connected to the ability to setup IOMMU in BIOS?

Do I have to be aware of the GPU being compatible with IOMMU, too?

Thank you very much!
Thorgas
 08/06/2012 04:30 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

I would download that motherboards manual and do a search for IOMMU in there to see if there is any reference. I do remember seeing IOMMU listed in the BIOS of either my Crosshair IV Formula or my Crosshair V Formula as a enable/disable feature setting so you may want to look there.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information