AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Dual 246, Audio + graphics WS.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/02/2004 08:35 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/02/2004 08:35 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
lindseyp

Here's my spec:

Processor: 2x Opteron 246
Case/PSU: Supermicro Superserver 742i-450W 4U
Motherboard: Tyan Thunder K8W
RAM: 3GB (6x 512MB DDR PC2700 ECC SDRAM)
Disk: 40GB Western Digital Caviar UDMA/100
2x 120GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA/150
Graphics: Matrox Parhelia 256MB AGP4x - retail version.
Sound: M-Audio Audiophile 2496 audio+midi
Monitors: 23" Apple Cinema Display @ 1920x1200
15" Sony Trinitron @ 1200x1024*
I/O: MSI D16 16x/48x DVD-ROM
Sony DRU-510A (R-8x32x W-4x/24x) DVD-R/-RW, DVD+R/+RW
Internal 7-in-1 USB2.0 Memory Card Reader.
Extra: Generic PCI 100MB LAN card **
Belkin USB2.0 PCI card ***
Software: Photoshop, Mathematica, Cubase SX, Call of Duty, Winamp, LAME.

Issues:

*2nd monitor needed to display BIOS or BSOD screens as Parhelia/ACD23" combo cannot display 640x400 boot screen.

Some software (Call of Duty! doesn't like wide-screen format and displays 1600x1200 leaving desktop peeking out.

** PCI LAN card required because Tyan gigabit LAN drivers produce intermittent BSOD with WinXP. This is not good.. I'm waiting for upgraded drivers.

Initially had Belkin 54g wireless network card. Was incompatible with my Sony basestation.

*** USB1.1 included with K8W not fast enough for today's applications. Come on Tyan! USB2.0 Belkin card includes only Type-A internal connection. NOT header pins. Had to solder my own convertor to connect internal USB2.0 card reader!

First real work the machine undertook was to rip 450 CDs and encode to mp3 using the LAME DLL included with Winamp 5.0 This took a few days, but each CD ripped in about 3-4 minutes thanks to simultaneous read/encode of Winamp. BUT I had a lot of problems with failed read of some CDS, which led to BSOD. The CDs were fine on my laptops, but reading at max speed caused big problems toward the end of some CDs on the WS. I still haven't fully understood the cause of these problems. Only yesterday the machine failed to read part of a DVD, (Family Guy, (region 2 PAL) season 2 disk 2)

Photoshop runs perfectly. Panorama Tools runs great, I was finally able to put together a huge mosaic of photos to make a 6000x4000 panorama with no trouble.

Cubase is another matter. I get inexplicable freezes and crashes, but I hesitate to list this, as even though I have a Cubase SX license, my father uses it on his computer, I only have it installed so I can advise him rather than for my own use, so I resorted to a *ahem* 'trial' version off Kazaa . With the new machine running as well as it is, though, I might spend more time on Cubase for personal use, so I might have to stump up for a proper version. I only hope that solves the issues, though.

Anyone else running Cubase on Dual Opteron?

There is another issue, in that I keep getting blue-screen MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION errors. I've had about 7 or 8 since I got the machine and have so far been unable to track down the cause. I posted a query at:

http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=7229' ">http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=7229

regarding this.

All comments welcome!
 02/09/2004 11:55 PM

Author Icon
Ivan Andreevich

>>Anyone else running Cubase on Dual Opteron?
Does it have the latest updates?

>>There is another issue, in that I keep getting blue-screen MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION errors. I've had about 7 or 8 since I got the machine and have so far been unable to track down the cause. I

Hmm.. Did you try stressing the machine for a dozen hours or so? It might be the memory. Also, just open it up and make sure all your cables (IDE, etc) are plugged in well. I had a BSOD once a day totally random until I found out that my IDE cable was not plugged in all the way

And why the [content edited] do you have 6 MODULES of memory?!

You MUST use memory in PAIRS! This is a dual Opteron. So it needs 2 or 4 modules per processor. I mean gee - your memory is probably running in 64 bit mode instead of 128 bit! Try taking 2 modules out so its 2+2 and see if BSOD comes back. Also the performance should improve.
 02/10/2004 06:18 AM

Author Icon
jes

QUOTE (Ivan Andreevich)
And why the [content edited] do you have 6 MODULES of memory?!

You MUST use memory in PAIRS! This is a dual Opteron. So it needs 2 or 4 modules per processor. I mean gee - your memory is probably running in 64 bit mode instead of 128 bit! Try taking 2 modules out so its 2+2 and see if BSOD comes back. Also the performance should improve.

In that board he could have the memory with 2 in CPU0/Dimm B1/B2 and 4 in CPU1 which would give 128bit access.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
http://www.shellprompt.net
Unix & Oracle Web Hosting Provider powered by AMD Opterons
 02/10/2004 06:53 PM

Author Icon
Ivan Andreevich

Oh freak.. I didn't think of that

This board has 4/ 1 CPU and 2/ 2 CPU memory slots doesn't it?

lindseyp
Disregard the last part. I must've been drunk
 02/10/2004 07:01 PM

Author Icon
jes

It's a 4+4 board if its the K8W (S2885) board.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
http://www.shellprompt.net
Unix & Oracle Web Hosting Provider powered by AMD Opterons
 02/11/2004 11:07 AM

Author Icon
lindseyp

Hehe... you're not the first person to make the "PAIRS!!!!!111!!one!!" comment. Don't feel too bad.

The machine has been stress tested for several hours by Armari.co.uk, the guys who built it. That's how we found out that Tyan's drivers for the built-in Gigabit ethernet are buggy. This was before delivery, though, I'm a bit worried the deliverymen were playing 'catch' with it.

I should do some more tests, but I haven't had a BSOD for quite a while now, so I'm getting complacent. Maybe the machine's starting to feel more at home and is settling in.

/aaaaaw! bless.

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information