Increase font size
Topic Title: 240 opteron system
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/16/2004 04:40 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/16/2004 04:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jpencilworks

Hello,
I recently built this dual Opteron system, here are the components:

Antec Sonata case with 430 watt power supply.
Tyan Tiger k8W S2875 Dual processor mother board.
XP pro.
Dual opteron 240s (got a good deal on them.)
Silent-X heat sinks
Plextor PX-712A DVD drive.
Plextor CD DRive.
Sony Floppy drive.
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS. (with front controll panel)
1 gig of Buffalo registered ram.
78 gig 10,000 rpm western digital raptor serial ATA hard drive.
Seagate 120 gig ATA 7200 rpm hard drive.
Tyan Tachyon ATI Radeon 9800 pro video card.
Klipsch 2X speaker system.
Duel IBM P96 flat screen monitors.
There are three 120mm fans in the case. I don't do any over clocking on the processors or the video card.
I built the system to take the place of my my HP athalon 2600 system.(dual monitor Ati 9800pro and 768 ram)
I'm finishin a BA in media arts and animation at the Art Institute in Denver Co. I have about a year left. I run alot of 3Ds max and Maya6. I also use alot of Photo Shop, Premiere, Sound Forge, Toonz, Flip Book, Flash MX, After Affects, Toon Boom Studio, and Vegas.
We have all the latest HP and Mac workstations at the school. G5s with 19" flat screens, P3 Hp workstations. But we don't use any AMD based systems.
I was in a lab on 3Ds Max the other day, using a brand new HP work station, and the experiance was so reminicent of working at home that I pulled up the system specs and saw that the processor was a 3gig pentium. It was also running a gig of ram, but I was wondering to myself; why are my Opterons only rated at 1.4 gigs?
Generall, my system kicks dirt on just about anything else I use at school, but this new P3 seemed to be keeping pace with me. Of course it can't touch my render times.
Anyway, can somebody enlighten me as to why the Opterons are rated so low?
Any questions about my systems performance? What do you think of the component choice? I named her Black Betty. Betty for short.

Thanks.

10/16/2004 07:47 PM

Author Icon
Shyha

They have 'just' 1.4GHz because what matters is performance. And there IS performance

It's a matter of technology. If you can make same performance with lower clock speeds than you have A LOT of space to gain better performance. And this is the case. You should notice the clock speeds of RISC processors [Sun Sparc for example]. They're much lower then CISC [x86 for example] but have better performance. Like I said - it's all about technology.
I'll give another example [it's looks very good with risc-cisc comparison]:
in RISC technology, every cpu instruction [except this which works on memory, but there's not much of them] is executed in one cycle. In CISC, they're done in one to about 20 [i don't know the upper limit]. If we take a medium of this, let's say it's circa about 3 cycles. So the 1GHz RISC is equivalent of 3GHz CISC. I'm sure it's similiar with Opteron/P4 comparison. They're just tweaked microcode for cpu instructions.

Hope it helps [and hope i wrote it 'understandable' ]

-------------------------
Athlon64 3500+@2400MHz (stock HSF), ASUS A8V Deluxe 1.x WiFi-g, GeIL 2.5 Value PC3200@220MHz
Radeon 9700 build by ATI, Tagan TG380-U01, 3xWD800Jx Lite-On DVD-RW, DELL D1626HT 21" CRT
Casetek C-1018 black w/7fans controlled by AKASA FC Pro + some lights, MGE Pulsar ESV 14+ UPS
 10/18/2004 01:40 PM

Author Icon
jpencilworks

Thanks, that helps some. I am not a real tech wizard. I only know enough to get by, but the more info I pick up, the better my computing experiances become. So thanks for helping me along.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information