Increase font size
Topic Title: Opteron Servers
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/05/2003 04:06 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/05/2003 04:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
MarlboroMan

Recently I had a chance to assemble/do some minor work with a couple of Opteron servers that came my way.

The servers (there are 2) are each dual Opteron models.

Specs:
Celestica A2210 chassis (which composes of)
1U case
Dual SCSI hot-swap bays
LSI-chipset SCSI card (320MB/s) with external/internal connector
Dual-onboard Copper Gigabit Ethernet

Dual AMD64 Opteron 242's (1.6Ghz) ::EDIT:: Fixed retarded typo.
Dual Maxtor 15KRPM 36GB SCSI Drives.

Assembly was easy - the Celestica Chassis comes with everything besides processor, HD, and memory. Just dropped in the processors, applied the heatsinks (took me a minute to figure out that the heatsink retainer is SCREWED down), installed the drives in the bays, and dropped in some memory.

My initial impression after turning on the machines is that if I kept the servers in my house, my heating bill would be noticable reduced. These things are LOUD, and move air fast. The cooling is performed by 5 mid-mounted vertical fans that are ducted over the dual processors. I immediately dubbed the machines with the names "Leafblower" and "Vacuum" in jest - as the noise level isn't important in a DC environment.

My only real caveat with the chassis was the LSI Logic SCSI card - why put in two hot-swappable bays if you can't do hardware RAID-1? I'd be kind of iffy attempting to do any kind of swap on a running software RAID. In any case, there are two full-size PCI-X bays for you to install your own Adaptec/Mylex/3ware card if you so choose - I imagine you can just swap the SCSI cable going to the backplane for the drives from the LSI card to another SCSI card, but I did not attempt this.

A nice feature of the case was the rails that were included with it - the stationary rails literally snap onto the side of the case, and the rails themselves moved very smoothly, and seemed very sturdy. I'd imagine you could do hardware swaps on these by only extending the rails and removing the tops. ::EDIT:: (Yep, you can.)

I don't have any real impressions of the performance of the machines - at the time of assembly, the RAM for the machines had not arrived, so I threw in some DDR modules that were around just to see if they booted.

Pictures: http://biological.warningg.com/photos' ">http://biological.warningg.com/photos

-------------------------
Brandon Ewing
NOC Engineer
www.fastservers.net' ">http://www.fastservers.net
 10/14/2003 08:41 AM

Author Icon
brian_brian

yr server is similiar with IBM server machine with dual opteron ... so slim ...and tiny ... you have huge gap for this rack mount ...

ABIT IC7MAX3, AN7, & NF7-S REV2.0
Intel P4 3.2EE, AMD Barton 2.6 & 2.5 with WD Raptor 74Gb E 3 Pc's
Thermaltake skull vm3000a, Antec Sonata & Plus View 1000AMG
2 Pc's Creative 2ZS Platinum Pro with Inspire 7700 & Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Pro
Sony SDM-HS93, SDM HS53 & Multiscan20se
Cisco 2503 with ISDN 128 Kbps & Cisco 837 with Zyxel Prestige 630 ADSL 512Kbps
 10/17/2003 01:01 AM

Author Icon
Pro Kid

262, does such a beast exist. Arn't the 1.6's 242.

Life is hard you know this $hit gets taxin,
Thats why when ya find me Ima be relaxin...
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information