Topic Title: AMD Quartet/ Celestica A8440
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/21/2005 03:33 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/21/2005 03:33 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
limweech

I have a Celestica A8440 (AMD Quartet). Can the Dual Core opterons be used in these?

How about the Celestica A2210 (AMD Serenade)?

Thanks.
 06/20/2005 09:42 PM

Author Icon
needles

I had this same question. I contacted Celestica daily only to receive a busy signal on their support line for three straight weeks. Finally, I called their main office and raised enough [content edited] that I got someone in the correct department to return my call.

At that point, I was politely informed that Celestica has decided to not support these systems any longer and has disbanded their engineering department. There will be no future BIOS updates for these otherwise decent quad servers -- EVER. We're stuck with Revision-E. This from AMD's so-called number one OEM, too.

I made the mistake of buying about a dozen of these [content edited] servers just last December loaded up with 850's.

AMD brags about these things only needing a BIOS update to support the dual-core systems and then AMD's so-called number one OEM, Celestica, plays chicken and refuses to support their customers by providing zero upgrade path.

Needless to say, I will never buy another server from AMD's so-called number one OEM, Celestica, again.

-- Needles

(p.s. Yes, I am bitter. You'd be bitter too if you spent close to $200,000 on servers just six months ago only to find the OEM ditching their own product because some [content edited] middle-management suit decided to fire his engineers and run the savage burn on every last customer.)

QUOTE(limweech @ May 21 2005, 02:33 PM)I have a Celestica A8440 (AMD Quartet). Can the Dual Core opterons be used in these?

How about the Celestica A2210 (AMD Serenade)?

Thanks.
[snapback]421976[/snapback]

06/20/2005 09:51 PM

Author Icon
flippin_waffles

yikes! yes i would be very bitter too.
 06/20/2005 10:31 PM

Author Icon
limweech

I was afraid of this. I have 2 x A8440 and 11 x A2210.

i think AMD demo-ed the dual cores on the A8440. anyone know if the current dual cores (E1 to E6) will work with the last bios available (with revision E support) ?

also the A2210 are used for HP DL145. does HP have updated bios?

QUOTE(needles @ Jun 20 2005, 05:42 PM)We're stuck with Revision-E.

06/21/2005 12:03 PM

Author Icon
needles

Oh, now that really chafes my [content edited]! AMD actually demo'ed the dual-core Opterons on the A8440 and then they let Celestica get away with not providing a BIOS update? That's a heaping, steaming, festering pant-load if I've ever seen one!

AMD, come on -- get your OEM's in line here!

-- Needles

QUOTE(limweech @ Jun 20 2005, 09:31 PM)I was afraid of this. I have 2 x A8440 and 11 x A2210.

i think AMD demo-ed the dual cores on the A8440. anyone know if the current dual cores (E1 to E6) will work with the last bios available (with revision E support) ?

also the A2210 are used for HP DL145. does HP have updated bios?
[right][snapback]442029[/snapback][/right]

08/08/2005 09:29 PM

Author Icon
hammerfan

I have tested the 865s in the A8440, it will boot the lastest x86-64 suse linux kernel
and show all the CPUs. I still have to run torture tests but it looks promising. /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />

-------------------------
Mike Sullivan
@lliance Technologies, Voice: (416) 385-3255 x 228,
18 Wynford Dr, Suite 407 Fax: (416) 385-1774
Toronto, ON, Canada, M3C-3S2 Toll Free:1-877-216-3199
http://www.alltec.com' ">http://www.alltec.com
 08/09/2005 04:21 AM

Author Icon
limweech

QUOTE(hammerfan @ Aug 8 2005, 05:29 PM)I have tested the 865s in the A8440, it will boot the lastest x86-64 suse linux kernel
and show all the CPUs. I still have to run torture tests but it looks promising.  /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />
[right][snapback]477017[/snapback][/right]

That's good, which revision are the 865s ?
 09/18/2005 01:55 PM

Author Icon
pfwhkg

QUOTE(needles @ Jun 20 2005, 06:42 PM)I had this same question. I contacted Celestica daily only to receive a busy signal on their support line for three straight weeks. Finally, I called their main office and raised enough [content edited] that I got someone in the correct department to return my call.

At that point, I was politely informed that Celestica has decided to not support these systems any longer and has disbanded their engineering department. There will be no future BIOS updates for these otherwise decent quad servers -- EVER. We're stuck with Revision-E. This from AMD's so-called number one OEM, too.

I made the mistake of buying about a dozen of these god damned servers just last December loaded up with 850's.

AMD brags about these things only needing a BIOS update to support the dual-core systems and then AMD's so-called number one OEM, Celestica, plays chicken and refuses to support their customers by providing zero upgrade path.

Needless to say, I will never buy another server from AMD's so-called number one OEM, Celestica, again.

-- Needles

(p.s. Yes, I am bitter. You'd be bitter too if you spent close to $200,000 on servers just six months ago only to find the OEM ditching their own product because some jackass middle-management suit decided to fire his engineers and run the savage burn on every last customer.)
[right][snapback]441988[/snapback][/right]

04/09/2006 09:23 AM

Author Icon
needles

Any movement anywhere on this? AMD? A new BIOS for the Quartet reference design, perhaps?

I see that someone said they booted the 865's up in a A8440... maybe the Quartet doesn't need a BIOS update?

Anyone else know anything about this?
 04/09/2006 09:42 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

needles

This is a user to user forum... while the information you've provided is helpfull, complaining abouy and name-calling of your server provider will not change the fact that they no longer support their product.

What I may suggest is to contact some one at wimsbios in their forum and see if they can modify your latest bios rev, someone may be able to update the cpu microcode in the bios of your servers.

http://www.wimsbios.com/

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

04/22/2006 10:17 PM

Author Icon
needles

quote:

Originally posted by: MD Willington
needles

This is a user to user forum... while the information you've provided is helpfull, complaining abouy and name-calling of your server provider will not change the fact that they no longer support their product.

Coming down on me for being irritated that AMD's (former) so-called number one integrator abandonned their product within just a few months time? Dude, I'm call them whatever I like. In fact, I toned it down quite a bit because of the fact that this is a public forum.

Celestica left me and countless others high and dry with these Quartet reference systems. We were early adopters, were promised an upgrade path to dual-core, and then we get the full nine when we come to collect. Talk about bogus.

But really, it's ancient history now. I still use AMD in my production gear, but we had to find a new OEM. Since we're heavily involved in VMware ESX, we went with HP and Opterons for all our production enterprise stuff.

Ironically, it's Dell who has all my desktop business right now. Those Pentium-D's are great for cheap workstations for our sales people. Who cares about the crummy FSB in a desktop scenario? That and they are cheap. Filthy cheap. Cheaply made, too. Those Dells feel like they may fly apart at any second. But the users like them.

Funny how that works. AMD for enterprise production and workstations, Intel for desktops for sales people. Who'd have thought that would happen five years ago, 'eh?
 07/06/2007 03:31 AM

Author Icon
BusinessConnected

Sorry to Raise "Dead" Posts, However I've recently managed to secure one of these Quad Core Barebones very, very cheaply.

I've managed to get some Opteron 852 Processors as well and I'm well on my way to getting these things going.

I see that Access to the Celestica Support Site is either
a) Difficult to get
b) Impossible Now....

Does anyone have any latest bios/information for this Server?

Would appreciate it if someone could send a PM...
 10/12/2007 02:37 AM

Author Icon
highlandsun
B1FF

I have just received an A8440 from AMD, with 4 Opteron 875s running on it and Fedora Core on the included drive. I was told that it's running with an experimental BIOS, it seems to be fine.

Anyone know what software is needed to use the IPMI port? We see it maknig DHCP queries on our network but it doesn't seem to like any of the answers the DHCP server sends it. (It keeps on making the same request over and over, nonstop.)

Asus A8V Deluxe, Opteron 185, 4xSamsung 1GB Reg/ECC DDR400, AC Freezer64 Pro, Antec Sonata case w/TruePower480
 01/23/2008 04:33 PM

Author Icon
limweech

Originally posted by: highlandsun

I have just received an A8440 from AMD, with 4 Opteron 875s running on it and Fedora Core on the included drive. I was told that it's running with an experimental BIOS, it seems to be fine.

Anyone know what software is needed to use the IPMI port? We see it maknig DHCP queries on our network but it doesn't seem to like any of the answers the DHCP server sends it. (It keeps on making the same request over and over, nonstop.)

IPMI ? the A8440 comes with a cdrom that has some IPMI software.

any possible to getting a copy of your BIOS? what version is it?

the latest (3 years old) BIOS available from celestica runs Revision E0. which was the engineering sample of opteron dual core. i think it was the opteron 866 and it was 2.2GHz, same as the opteron 875. can you check the revision of your CPUs?

is this the same machine mentioned on http://www.connexitor.com/blog...rchive.php?c=OpenLDAP

lol.. once in a while i check back on A8440 and dual core BIOS.. most of the posts are mine. a waste of good hardware
 01/23/2008 04:50 PM

Author Icon
limweech

btw, the other 4P servers that were sold around the same time, such as the Sun V40z (also the Newisys 4100) and the HP DL585 eventually had bios upgrades to support dual core CPUs... A8440 (also the AMD Quartet from AMD itself) not having the updated BIOS available is pretty sad. these A8440 might be 3 years old.. but an upgrade to, say 4 x opteron 885 would give it a new lease of life.
 02/04/2008 08:08 AM

Author Icon
macdee1823

I have exactly the same problem with A8440. Anyone with any info on this I would be very greatful if you could send me a PM.

No advertising. Do not use this site as a redirector or gateway to another site for the purpose of collecting click income or advertising. Although there are times when a link to another site is necessary for helping or answering a question, AMD reserves the right to determine what is and is not advertising. This is not your personal "for sale" board to advertise items.
 03/26/2008 06:49 PM

Author Icon
kobibrian

I ordered two AMD 875 Dual core processors and installed them in a test A8440 with the PQTDX0-E bios installed today. POST screen said unknown Processors but report four of them with only two physical CPU's installed.

Windows 2003 R2 64 Bit Booted just fine and task manager showed four processors as well.

No errors in the event log for the five minutes I had it running.

I think I will order two more and see what happens with all four slots filled.
 04/10/2008 01:00 PM

Author Icon
highlandsun
B1FF

Originally posted by: limweech

IPMI ? the A8440 comes with a cdrom that has some IPMI software.

any possible to getting a copy of your BIOS? what version is it?

the latest (3 years old) BIOS available from celestica runs Revision E0. which was the engineering sample of opteron dual core. i think it was the opteron 866 and it was 2.2GHz, same as the opteron 875. can you check the revision of your CPUs?

is this the same machine mentioned on http://www.connexitor.com/blog....php?c=OpenLDAP

lol.. once in a while i check back on A8440 and dual core BIOS.. most of the posts are mine. a waste of good hardware

Yes, same machine mentioned on the Connexitor blog. We didn't receive any CDROM with the machine.

Asus A8V Deluxe, Opteron 185, 4xSamsung 1GB Reg/ECC DDR400, AC Freezer64 Pro, Antec Sonata case w/TruePower480
 04/30/2008 08:53 AM

Author Icon
dead_man00124

sorry for the bump but for anyone who has these servers and needs some docs, drivers etc check here

http://portal.atcelestica.com/...hman/alpha/alphadw.nsf
 07/22/2008 05:34 PM

Author Icon
kobibrian

Originally posted by: kobibrian

I ordered two AMD 875 Dual core processors and installed them in a test A8440 with the PQTDX0-E bios installed today. POST screen said unknown Processors but report four of them with only two physical CPU's installed.

Windows 2003 R2 64 Bit Booted just fine and task manager showed four processors as well.

No errors in the event log for the five minutes I had it running.

I think I will order two more and see what happens with all four slots filled.

Bump

Found a beta version of the BIOS. Version PQTEX0-7. It now sees the processors as Dual core AMD's. All cores show up in the task manager. Runs like a dream. Especially with all for slots filled.

Woohoo.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information