Increase font size
Topic Title: Athlon 64 3800+ vs Opteron for server
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/18/2005 07:03 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/18/2005 07:03 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
pete-n

Hi! I'm doing my practical at IT support in an non-profit organisation. /ph34r.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='ph34r.gif' /> We have here about 25 machines (or atleast 25 licences). And my boss wants to upgrade our server. It is mainly now as fileserver, where is common files (like docs) etc. Maybe some account info too. I was thinking is it enough to buy AMD Athlon 3800+ or do we need Opteron if we want that we dont have to upgrade again soon. The machine is running NT now, but we think of upgrading to 2000 or 2003. I personally think Athlon would be enough, since we dont have too much money, but then again i dont want to be blamed for recommending too slow machine... So which do we go?
And whats the difference anyway (exept price) ? /wacko.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wacko.gif' />
 11/19/2005 01:55 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

if you can find an opteron 165, it would actually be cheaper, and its a dual core opteron.

provided by 3800 you meant the dual core version?

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above exactly represent those of the Intel Corporation and all of its affiliates.
Official Intel™ Propaganda Spreader
"Bringing you the benchmarks that everyone knows are fake" ~ SINCE 2006 ~<!--
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information