Increase font size
Topic Title: Recommendations for a File Server
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/03/2005 02:44 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/03/2005 02:44 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ccut77

In our office we use a computer to store all of our company/cleint data on and I am wondering how important some the components are for this type of use. I imagine that the faster the hard drive the better, but what about the memory, processor, and motherboard? No one uses the machine on a regular basis so would additional memory or a processor upgrade help speed up its ability to serve up our data files?

The machine has:
Windows 2000 Proessional
Asus P4P800 MB bios American Megatrends 1009.008
P4 2.4 GHz 512MB cache
1GB memory (2x512) running dual channel and 2 open slots
Maxtor 120GB HD 7200rpm IDE
(The boss wanted the Intel processor at the time, but I am slowly converting him over to the better side /wink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wink.gif' /> )

Also, any idea how much benefit there is to upgrading to a 10/100/1000 LAN from our 10/100 Lan? Our business is an accounting firm that uses specialized tax preparation software in addition to several versions of Quickbooks and a time management program, all of which we keep the data files on our "Server." We have up to 8 computers trying to access these files during tax season (Mid January to mid April).

Thanks for your insights! They will be used the next time we upgrade the computer. /cool.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='cool.gif' />
 06/04/2005 09:53 AM

Author Icon
bvchurch

QUOTE(ccut77 @ Jun 3 2005, 11:44 AM)In our office we use a computer to store all of our company/cleint data on and I am wondering how important some the components are for this type of use.  I imagine that the faster the hard drive the better, but what about the memory, processor, and motherboard?  No one uses the machine on a regular basis so would additional memory or a processor upgrade help speed up its ability to serve up our data files?

The machine has:
Windows 2000 Proessional
Asus P4P800 MB bios American Megatrends 1009.008
P4 2.4 GHz 512MB cache
1GB memory (2x512) running dual channel and 2 open slots
Maxtor 120GB HD 7200rpm IDE
(The boss wanted the Intel processor at the time, but I am slowly converting him over to the better side  /wink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wink.gif' /> )

Also, any idea how much benefit there is to upgrading to a 10/100/1000 LAN from our 10/100 Lan?  Our business is an accounting firm that uses specialized tax preparation software in addition to several versions of Quickbooks and a time management program, all of which we keep the data files on our "Server."  We have up to 8 computers trying to access these files during tax season (Mid January to mid April).

Thanks for your insights!  They will be used the next time we upgrade the computer.  /cool.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='cool.gif' />
[right][snapback]430450[/snapback][/right]

Well that for a file server should work great. The processor memory look excellent. if you didn want a slightly faster connection then yes you could go to A sata drive, such as the WD Raptors, or you could go SCSI. You could also add more memory.

On the Gigabit lan, I have not seen it in action to say, but it may work a lot better for your operations. It would allow for some faster transfers.
 06/09/2005 12:57 PM

Author Icon
desteven

Im sure there is a benefit to going with 100/1000Mbps, but With only 8 computers accessing the network at a time, I don't expect that it would be needed or cost beneficial at this time. As your network grows (and it probably will) then it might be something to look into.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information