Increase font size
Topic Title: Workstation Processor Recommendation
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/21/2005 12:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/21/2005 12:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
nazviper

Hello everyone.

I am new to the site and am looking for a recommendation on a processor for new workstations. They will primarily be used for Pro Engineer and Microsoft Office. I am leaning towards the Opteron 152 or the Opteron 252, but I don't really understand the difference bewteen the two. I see that the 200 series offers two capability, but I really don't know what that means.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I will need to also figure out what motherboard to use with the processor.

Thanks in advance.
 12/21/2005 04:03 PM

Author Icon
thespin

QUOTE(nazviper @ Dec 21 2005, 01:02 PM)Any info would be greatly appreciated.  I will need to also figure out what motherboard to use with the processor.
[right][snapback]571357[/snapback][/right]

These are 940 pin commercial style processors. The 152 (standalone) WON'T work in concert with another processor to multiply your power BUT the 252 will work with another 252 in the same dual processor motherboard. To use these processors, you will need commercial style motherboards made by Tyan, Micron, and others ...

Better you buy these type systems thru a vendor ... try monarch.com ...

-------------------------
Millions daily drive their cars made of 1000s of parts. We study events billions of miles away expecting laws HERE apply equally THERE. The planets, the moons etc move with such precision that we just hit a comet millions of miles away with a probe. ALL of man's technology depend on the precision and invariability of natural laws. How also explain their simplicity and their harmonious integration to form a multifaceted U
 12/22/2005 09:11 AM

Author Icon
functional-pc

i would be happy to help you configure some efficient opteron-based workstations!
feel free to PM me with any factors... ie, planned program requirements and storage expectations.

-------------------------
Latest workstation:
Lian li PC-A05B, KN3-SLi, 4400 Brisbane, Freezer 64 Pro, 2 gigs Super-Talent T800UX2GC4, 36 raptor system drive, Caviar RE 320 storage drive, Hiper 580, Ati 1300 Pro, running Vista Home Premium 64-bit with Symantec 10.2.224
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information