AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: 3400>3700 or go 939 ?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/10/2005 05:17 PM
Status: Read Only
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/10/2005 05:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
DiamondGeezer
Member

Posts: 47
Joined: 07/15/2004

I've had an A64 system since last may, 3000+ at first and have upgraded to 3400+ only 4 months ago. I now have the dilema of what next ?

Should i get the 3700+(£223) and be at the top end for s754, or should i be looking to spend a little more and go s939 in the shape of 3500+ winnie and mobo, aslo taking advantage of dual channel support.

I would probably be upgrading within the couple of months anyway, so could someone please advise and point me to the best possible solution for my indecision.

Thnx

-------------------------
FX55...A-Bit AV8 3rd Eye...2x512 Ballistix DDR500...MSI RX800 Pro ViVo/16 Pipes...160gb samaung 7200...200gb maxtor Dm9...200gb Maxtor Dm10 sata...Hercules Digifire 7.1........Tagan 480w......XP Pro/SP2
 03/10/2005 06:01 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Tech-Daddy
Senior Member

Posts: 200
Joined: 01/08/2005

I'm a firm believer in s939. Save your money up and make the board leap to a 939 mobo/proc switch. If I have been reading correctly, the 754 options are going to be severly limited in scope of offerings, as opposed to the 939, where you can get a great mobo and a spankin good processor for cheap. Then, the headroom for proc upgrade is much more gradual.

PLUS - as an added benefit, after you move to 939, you can either
A) Start building a 2nd machine with the 754 kit that you just moved out of...
or
Sell it off, run with the money and buy upgrades for your new 939!

HTH!
 03/10/2005 06:14 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
DiamondGeezer
Member

Posts: 47
Joined: 07/15/2004

Yeh the money from the 3400 and mobo i have just now would go towards the 939 kit. When i get the buying urge its real hard to wait for something but i have this little angel on one shoulder telling me to WAIT FOR VENICE and on the other some little bugger saying NOOOOOO JUST SPEND IT NOW.

Technonlogical advance is great but i wish hardware could be upgradable like software, pay a nominal fee and get the newer, better, all singing, all dancing version. Well we all have our hopes and dreams.

Will the new Venice cores need bios updates to existing 939 mobo's ? If so are there any out there in the making already ?

-------------------------
FX55...A-Bit AV8 3rd Eye...2x512 Ballistix DDR500...MSI RX800 Pro ViVo/16 Pipes...160gb samaung 7200...200gb maxtor Dm9...200gb Maxtor Dm10 sata...Hercules Digifire 7.1........Tagan 480w......XP Pro/SP2
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.



Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information