AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Need help: dual opteron or single athlon fx?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/02/2005 03:39 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/02/2005 03:39 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
The_Internal

Greetings,

I've been building single proc setups for around a decade and am trying to figure out if I should make the leap to a dual 2.0 GHz Opteron system over a similarly priced single Athlon FX 55 (based on prices I've seen on Newegg and Zipzoomfly). I want to run 3ds Max and the Adobe Creative Suite. However, I also want to run Half Life 2 and other games now and again. Which is the better value for the dollar? A top of the line single proc setup or a dual mid-level Opteron system?
Also, the dual Opteron boards have two non-SLI PCI-Express slots. How does that work? Do I HAVE to use two graphics cards to be able to use both procs? Windows XP Pro and Media Center both support dual procs, right?
I have to keep the price tag under $3000 (no monitor or soundcard is needed), what would you build? I'll try to update this post with what I'm thinking about going (both on the single and dual proc configs) before to long.

Thanks!

-------------------------
My System:
Antec P108B case
Athlon x2 4400+ with Sythe Ninja heatsink
MSI K8N Neo 4 SLI Platinum (with latest BIOS update) with Zalman ZM-NBF47 passive northbridge heatsink
4 x 512 MB crucial ballistix PC3200
EVGA 6800 Ultra in x16 slot 1
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Pla
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information