Increase font size
Topic Title: high performance server
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/13/2006 08:35 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/13/2006 08:35 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jonathane100

Hi all, I am currently in need of a web server that would be passing multiple media streams and photographs to multiple clients /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> . The streams are relatively short <1min and they can only view 1 pic at a time. It will be connected to a T1. I do not have a deep pocket so I'm thinking entry level with the ability to upgrade. What do you think the min spec's would be -- Opteron.

Many Thx

JAE
 12/19/2006 10:20 PM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

quote:

Originally posted by: jonathane100
Hi all, I am currently in need of a web server that would be passing multiple media streams and photographs to multiple clients /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> . The streams are relatively short <1min and they can only view 1 pic at a time. It will be connected to a T1. I do not have a deep pocket so I'm thinking entry level with the ability to upgrade. What do you think the min spec's would be -- Opteron.

Many Thx

JAE

Is this a database-type of setup or is it mostly a file-transfer thing? If it's the latter, which I suspect it is, then you need a good, fast hard drive array that can take a lot of demand. You would not need a bunch of CPU to do that. I'm not an expert, but an entry-level 2P or even 1P dual-core server ought to do you just fine. That would work out to a pair of Opteron 2210s or a single Opteron 1210.

-------------------------
 12/20/2006 04:12 PM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

Originally posted by: jonathane100

Many Thx

JAE

T1 is 1.544 Mbps both ways. That is about 197 KBps. How many users are you having? What OS? IIS over 10 users requires Windows Server. You could use Linux. It depends on how many users are access for the level of hardware. How large are the files?

What is your budget? What is your storage needs? Do you have a backup plan?

-------------------------
Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
8GB NUMA enabled DDR333 2.5-3-3-7 RAM
PCI-X SCSI RAID
http://69.14.190.80
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information