Increase font size
Topic Title: Server OS
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/15/2006 02:13 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/15/2006 02:13 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
64bitX2g33k

I am looking onto getting an OS for my soon to be live server. I was wanting to get some suggestions to look up and get some info on.

Windows Server 2003
Linux(which version would be good as a server)
???? Other possibilities

I would like to know what some of the perks to having them are as well.

-------------------------
CompTIA A+ Certified IT Professional
 12/19/2006 09:54 PM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

Well, what OS you need generally depends on how you use it. A UNIX-like OS is a better choice in 99% of situations than Windows is, with the exception of somebody that wants to run an Exchange e-mail server or serve DRM'ed files to DRM'ed devices (as in using Windows Media Connect to send stuff from a PC to an Xbox.)

There are several UNIX-type OSes out there and they're all good and most are free too. Linux is the most popular because it can be the easiest to run and also has the largest number of programs and drivers for it. But BSD and Solaris UNIX aren't bad either. I'd recommend using Linux as that's what I personally use. And as far as distributions go, look at http://www.distrowatch.com and see the reviews, burn DVDs or CDs of ones that look good. Try them out and then keep the one that you like best.

01/24/2007 06:01 PM

Author Icon
jmilk

quote:

Originally posted by: 64bitX2g33k
I am looking onto getting an OS for my soon to be live server. I was wanting to get some suggestions to look up and get some info on.

Windows Server 2003
???? Other possibilities

It depends on what you are serving.

If you're looking for an internet server (web, email, etc), I don't see a good reason not to go with a Linux variant. My favorite distro is Ubuntu, but CentOS is also quite popular.

For an intranet server, there may be a need for Windows-based services as the poster above mentioned. However, I finally moved my personal Win2K Fileserver to Ubunutu last year, and using samba I'm even able to run it as a PDC. I haven't looked back.
 01/25/2007 10:49 AM

Author Icon
ccb056

I run Windows Server 2003 on a Quad Xeon 900 (Dell Poweredge 6400)

The system crunches SETI, is a FEAR dedicated server, and is a webserver

Apache 2.2, PHP 5, MySQL 5

I run with 2 GB of RAM.

ComputerBB
 02/08/2007 07:05 PM

Author Icon
antiwindows798

I would definitely recommend Linux or another Unix-like OS, lol.

Anyways, I currently use Ubuntu but because I will need a more "serious" server now, I'm thinking about dropping Ubuntu and going for Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
 02/08/2007 09:36 PM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

quote:

Originally posted by: antiwindows798
I would definitely recommend Linux or another Unix-like OS, lol.

Anyways, I currently use Ubuntu but because I will need a more "serious" server now, I'm thinking about dropping Ubuntu and going for Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Linux is Linux. Ubuntu will do just as well as RHEL at being a server.

02/09/2007 02:17 PM

Author Icon
antiwindows798

quote:

Originally posted by: MU_Engineer
Linux is Linux. Ubuntu will do just as well as RHEL at being a server.

Yes that's true but Ubuntu comes with a warranty and as of today, I have noticed that the same thing counts for RHEL as well .

Windows: Microsoft tries IMO too much control what you are doing and how you are managing your operating system. You get only in Microsoft a few tools to manage things and that's about it. You can hardly customize things on it like in Linux. I have worked with Windows Server for over a year now and I totally don't like it. But on the bright side, driver support for Windows is unmatched by any other OS. If you have an ASP website to host, then you have no other choice than to use Windows (or Linux with Mono but I don't have any experience with that).

Linux: Linux is awesome except that everything is extremely poorly documented and the driver support is horrible as well. Everything else about Linux (for server use) is awesome.

BSD: Same as Linux IMO, only the documentation for applications is even worse. Driver support is also even worse than in Linux. I haven't really worked much with BSD, but some Unix administrators are telling me that's it's a bit better than Linux.

I don't know about other operating systems. I personally use Linux. At work, I have to manage both Linux and Windows servers. I have a much better experience with Linux, except when it comes to drivers. That's truly a disaster with Linux, so if you want to use Linux, make sure to buy only hardware for which there is a Linux driver.
 02/09/2007 03:49 PM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

Originally posted by: 64bitX2g33k

Windows Server 2003
???? Other possibilities

Will your ISP allow you to run a server. Wide Open West will not allow me to have a server at home, even for my MCSE studies.

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
8GB NUMA enabled DDR333 2.5-3-3-7 RAM
PCI-X SCSI RAID
http://69.14.190.80
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information