Increase font size
Topic Title: Sanity check: dual core/dual opteron system
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/24/2006 11:53 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/24/2006 11:53 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jmclizard

Hello,
Just to make sure I understand some of the key issues in selecting/building an Opteron system (940 socket):
1) a leading 2 indicates an SMP capable CPU
2) there are dual core versions of these chips
3) there are motherboards that support the dual core/dual cpu configuration (may need a bios upgrade)

Other issues: memory selection, enough power, etc.

Thanks for any advice.
 05/24/2006 12:09 PM

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

the leading 2 indicates the number of CPUs that can be used... not cores. for instance a 165 is dual core (and s939 for that matter) but cannot be used with another 165

some are dual core some are not... basically i BELIEVE anything that ends in a 0 or 5 and is > x50 is dual core

if you have a dual socket board of course it will support dual CPUs; most motherboards will support dual core CPUs.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above exactly represent those of the Intel Corporation and all of its affiliates.
Official Intel™ Propaganda Spreader
"Bringing you the benchmarks that everyone knows are fake" ~ SINCE 2006 ~<!--
 05/24/2006 08:45 PM

Author Icon
jmclizard

quote:

Originally posted by: TheReturnOfAZ
the leading 2 indicates the number of CPUs that can be used... not cores. for instance a 165 is dual core (and s939 for that matter) but cannot be used with another 165

some are dual core some are not... basically i BELIEVE anything that ends in a 0 or 5 and is > x50 is dual core

if you have a dual socket board of course it will support dual CPUs; most motherboards will support dual core CPUs.

I dug a little more and found the model number/feature matrix. That cleared up most of my questions.
You confirmed that the leading 2 (or 8) indicates the 'wayness' of the processor ( my SMP reference) and also only the s940 is multi-cpu capable. (I saw that there are embedded s940 100 series chips -not going after that one!. I can now focus my research on motherboard/memory/case selection. Thanks for the info and as always, any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

Regards
 05/24/2006 11:27 PM

Author Icon
Bitey
Elite

Have alook in the opteron forum for more info.

But a quick summary.

All dual sokcet opterons are named like 2xx, require registered memory and are socket 940.

Supermicro, iWill and tyan are the best manufacturers of quality dual socket boards, msi and asus also make (cheaper) dual socket boards.

Some boards will have memory connected per cpu, some only connect memory to one CPU.
Some boards require 2 cpu's to use all the boards features like sli, and both network interfaces.

A good dual opteron will have memory per cpu giving you 2x 128 bit memory interface...eg double that of a normal single socket board.

They cost a fair bit more than normal boards, and usualy require a full tower size case and 550 watt eps ssi power suplly , though a 650 watt would be a better idea(use a good brand)

Having said that you can get a dual opteron in a SFF case, Iwill does them.

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information