Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD proccessor with Virtualization™ on s-939
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/18/2006 04:06 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/18/2006 04:06 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
eugenesan

We want to use one of Virtualization solutions (Xen,VMware...) on our server.

Is there any advatage in implementing Virtualization™? and is there any CPU with Virtualization™ support for s-939?

Thanks ahead.
 09/18/2006 04:39 PM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

IIRC, cpus with virtualization suffer a performance hit... i can't remember where i read it, but apparently, software solutions like VMware perform better.

-------------------------

Overclocking Help and Links . Why DRM, BluRay and HD-DVD Blow Great tools-> OC Bible v1.52 and Guidemania v1.2
 10/03/2006 09:59 PM

Author Icon
ElfB

Operating systems need to be modified to run on soft-mode Xen. Linux was ported quite quickly, Microsoft made their source code available to Xen and the Xen researchers started to wade through that, but the last I heard they were still slogging away. As I understand it, operating systems can run without modification on hardware based virtualisation - and supposedly much faster which stands to reason but I don't know this first hand and there seems to be some contrary evidence??

I've used soft-mode VMware and it's slow. I doubt that hypervisors (e.g. VMware) would make use of the virtualisation hardware at all if it were slower than just ignoring it, but Parallels uses it if it's there.

I have heard of using the virtualisation as a debugging mechanism, with different bits of the same program working in very different contexts in order to flag up memory errors. That is supposedly slow because of all the context switching. But that's not the same thing...

The Wiki page on virtualisation gives a table of current solutions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C...on_of_virtual_machines

It's comprehensive but not always consistent or up to date. E.g. VMware's software virtualisation, which runs at 80% of processor speed on computationally intensive (i.e. few os calls, hence easy to virtualise) is somehow listed as "Native speed" = 100% processor speed. !??!

Best wishes, Elf
 11/12/2006 03:24 AM

Author Icon
Kupak

ElfB, from what I've read, XenSource has had a version of paravirtualized Windows running for quite some time but since they can't release it, it's basically pointless. I also read on the Xen mailing list that paravirtualized guests are somewhat faster than running it in HVM because the guest knows that it's being virtualized and has been modified to work well with the host. In HVM, everything works as well, but the guest hasn't been modified. This gives you a lot more flexibility because you can run things such as Windows Server as well as FreeBSD and Linux on the same machine but comes at a price (namely you have to have an HVM based processor as well as some performance loss (according to some on the Xen mailing list)). However, since Windows probably won't release a paravirtualized version any time soon (this is my guess), then you're basically forced to use HVM to get it running.

And yes. I don't know how they can say that VMware is near native unless they're referring to VMware ESX server. VMWare Workstation is [content edited] slow.
 11/15/2006 10:31 PM

Author Icon
joss21

So, lets say I want to try HVM virtualization.. I have a X2 3800+ s939.. its supposed to have pacifica in, right?
Where do I begin? How do I activate it? Is there a software component?
How do I run, lets say, XP-64 and linux concurrently ?
tnx
 11/23/2006 11:08 AM

Author Icon
anonxxx

Other way: Hypervizor / OpenVZ or Multi-seat X.Org.

Using multi-seat, several users with their own keyboard and mouse can use the computer at the same time. It's better to wait for Wireless USB with multi seat support.

Freescale 8641D System On Chip use asymmetric multi processing (AMP) and support 2 different OS at the same time.
 11/30/2006 07:05 PM

Author Icon
niccload

quote:

Originally posted by: anonxxx
Using multi-seat, several users with their own keyboard and mouse can use the computer at the same time. It's better to wait for Wireless USB with multi seat support.

Ahhhhh - the good old days of VT100 terminals and X-Terms!

Isn't it funny how we always go round in circles!!!
 01/03/2007 01:54 PM

Author Icon
Redgate

quote:

Originally posted by: eugenesan
We want to use one of Virtualization solutions (Xen,VMware...) on our server.

Is there any advatage in implementing Virtualization™? and is there any CPU with Virtualization™ support for s-939?

Thanks ahead.

As far as I know, only AMD´s "Next-generation" Opteron series 1000, 2000 and 8000 have AMD-V included in their CPU´s and Opteron 1000 supports socket AM2, Series 2000 and 8000 supports socket F.
SUSE 10 and newer includes Xen as a virtualization platform and with a CPU supporting virtulization You can install and run guest-os in "Full virtualization mode", ie windows and more. Without AMD-V mode you have to run the guest-os in "para-virtualization mode" and so far as I know this will be linux machines without gui-support, cause in the para-mode they do not emulate a complete machine. It´s faster but you can not run MS Windows server, cause it is difficult to change the code in Windows.
 05/12/2007 08:43 AM

Author Icon
tb_

05/25/2007 05:23 AM

Author Icon
v-kernel

All

If you are running ESX and are thinking about how to monitor resource capacity or need to do chargeback to end users we are looking for beta testers. The full description and download of the appliance is on vmware.com at http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/881 or www.vkernel.com

Questions and comments to support@v-kernel.com

thanks
 06/05/2007 06:31 AM

Author Icon
girishbhavsar

Originally posted by: Redgate

As far as I know, only AMD´s "Next-generation" Opteron series 1000, 2000 and 8000 have AMD-V included in their CPU´s and Opteron 1000 supports socket AM2, Series 2000 and 8000 supports socket F.
SUSE 10 and newer includes Xen as a virtualization platform and with a CPU supporting virtulization You can install and run guest-os in "Full virtualization mode", ie windows and more. Without AMD-V mode you have to run the guest-os in "para-virtualization mode" and so far as I know this will be linux machines without gui-support, cause in the para-mode they do not emulate a complete machine. It´s faster but you can not run MS Windows server, cause it is difficult to change the code in Windows.

Thnx for this information me too need it
can u suggest me good motherboard for virtualization to use with Opteron 1000 series
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information