AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Preferred processor for complex simulations...
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/16/2007 02:21 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/16/2007 02:21 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
JimMace

I have a 32-bit application that is not multithreaded, but may be down the road. I am looking to set up a proof of concept server that will eventually become a part of a Beowulf cluster running Linux (not sure which flavor, however). The server(s) will be used exclusively to run complex wildland fire simulations. The application is a CPU bound application and is an absolute hog using up every remaining bit of CPU resources it can get its hands on per instance. RAM consumption is surprisingly minimal, however. My question is which AMD processor would give me the best performance running as a stand-alone and then again as a part of the cluster, in your opinion?

Thanks in advance,
Jim
 02/16/2007 03:47 PM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

Originally posted by: Jim Mace
I have a 32-bit application that is not multithreaded, but may be down the road. I am looking to set up a proof of concept server that will eventually become a part of a Beowulf cluster running Linux (not sure which flavor, however). The server(s) will be used exclusively to run complex wildland fire simulations. The application is a CPU bound application and is an absolute hog using up every remaining bit of CPU resources it can get its hands on per instance. RAM consumption is surprisingly minimal, however. My question is which AMD processor would give me the best performance running as a stand-alone and then again as a part of the cluster, in your opinion?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Fastest dual core would be fine. Your OS can run on both cores freeing up core 0 for your app.

-------------------------
Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
8GB NUMA enabled DDR333 2.5-3-3-7 RAM
PCI-X SCSI RAID
http://69.14.190.80
 03/02/2007 11:00 PM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

Mckennma is right- the fastest dual-core would be what you want. That would currently be the X2 6000+ which runs at 3.0 GHz. That CPU is about $600 if I remember correctly and is AMD's fastest at the moment. Put the X2 6000+ and an appropriate amount of DDR2-800 memory in a decent socket AM2 motherboard and you should be good to go.

-------------------------
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information