Increase font size
Topic Title: Seeking RAM advice for Opteron 285 / 2.6GHz
Topic Summary: A bit confused / would appreciate suggestions
Created On: 08/04/2007 09:58 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/04/2007 09:58 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
darkczar

Seeking Recommendations

Outfitting an Intellistation A-Pro with twin Opteron
285 / 2.6 GHz processors.

Checked the AMD website for list of tested RAM, and
had difficulty locating retailers that stocked those products.

I did find this one - Kingston HyperX KRX3200K2/1G 1GB

There seems to be a rather massive amount of other options, and frankly other than the obvious (ECC Registered / size) I can't tell much of a difference between them.

Does anyone have knowledge about the Corsair XMS or Ultra Low Latency chips. The Corsair RAM is not listed as tested on the AMD website that I could find.

I'm open to any / all suggestions.

Thanks,

Drew

-------------------------
"Once in a while, you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right..." R.Hunter / GDead
 09/17/2007 12:30 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
iconofsin

What, is XMS now ECC? XMS is Corsair's premium gaming line of memory. Essentially, lower latency. Lower latency basically means more clocks per given period of time, and this is generally good. However, as you probably saw, it came with an increase in price.

I have to ask why are all the memory you listed gaming memory? Are you sure you are looking at the right chart?

Kingston HyperX, Corsair XMS, and other gaming memory do not have ECC, and would not work in your system. The memory you need is bland in name eg. Kingston ECC Memory, but that's what you need.

EDIT: Sorry if I sounded rude. I was just not in the mood of putting emotions on the page. Here

Edited: 09/17/2007 at 08:06 PM by iconofsin
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information