Increase font size
Topic Title: Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+ - heat sink fan suggestions
Topic Summary: need help
Created On: 08/17/2007 10:19 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/17/2007 10:19 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
hari_atp

I have Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+ processor fixed to ASUS M2N-MX mother board.

The processor heat sink fan is running at high speeds even when the system is idle. All the BIOS settings have been set to defaults. The processor temperature is reaching more than 55 degrees and there are 2 side fans installed for cooling purposes.

Do I need to change mother board settings for running the processor fan at low speeds or is this not a problem?

plz help me in resolving this issue

-------------------------
Hari Prasad
 08/17/2007 07:05 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Stern63

Your max temp is ok (if you have full load both cores) but I can understand your wish to make the fan spin down when not needed.

First, make sure you have QFan activated in bios in order to enable automatic cpu fan speed control, provided that the cpu fan is connected to the cpu fan MB header of course.

Perhaps you already did that.

If so, maybe you ran into the same kind of trouble that I just had to endure, caused by the useless practice of having crude thermistor-controlled fans in heatsinks - on the push side. This means the fan speed will be determined not by the heat dissipated by the cpu, but by the temp of the air on the inlet side which is rather irrelevant for control purposes (too weakly connected to the relevant control object here, cpu temp).

One disadvantage of the temp-controlled fans AMD provides is that you never can get the fan to spin at lower rps than, say, 3000.

More severely, in some systems this design puts the cpu at great risk of overheating. To make things worse, this is an undocumented feature that prolongs the time it takes for ordinary people like you and me to solve the problem.

Check out this thread for a more thorough investigation of this problem, and for suggestions of solutions: http://forums.amd.com/forum/me...id=87156&enterthread=y
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information