Increase font size
Topic Title: Help! CAD Workstation
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/28/2007 04:23 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/28/2007 04:23 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
spendi00

Hey everyone!
Every student tries to get away with a low cost system but good performance.
I am one of them .
I'm trying to build a cad workstation with following requirements:
In my system I would like to have 2 Athlon 64 FX-62 processors, 4 GB memory ddr2 800 (w/option to upgrade), 512 open GL graphic card.

Till now I have:

Processors: AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 Windsor 2.8GHz 2 pcs.
Motherboard: M2N32-SLI Deluxe/Wireless Edition
Memory: 2 x CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

Tried to put together the rest of the parts but Read the reviews and I get confused!?!
Can anybody suggest what else and which particular parts should I use. (Compatible with the ones that I have)

Thank you
 09/28/2007 05:06 PM

Author Icon
MSfree

Originally posted by: spendi00
In my system I would like to have 2 Athlon 64 FX-62 processors

That is simply impossible. Socket AM2 CPUs do not work in two-socket systems.

For a two-socket system you would need a new motherboard, two new opteron 2xxx or two Athlon64 FX-7x and new reg. ecc RAM.
 09/29/2007 06:45 PM

Author Icon
spendi00

Hey MSFree,
Thank you for your reply.
That's very bad new for me.
I can still return the items that I bought at newegg.
But do you think you can make a list of a solid system (A to Z ) and I can reimburse you for that either in a part or money through pay pal.
Because, I know it's not that easy as just putting the parts together. I will most definitely need a pros help.
Thanks

spendiveliu@verizon.net
 09/30/2007 12:09 AM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

What CAD program are you using and what exactly are you doing with it? I took some drafting classes and we used AutoCAD (2004, I think?) being run on crappy old 1.5 GHz P4 Willamettes with 256 MB RAM and a 32 MB GeForce MX440 and it ran just fine. Of course, we were not doing 3D or anything.

If you are budget-constrained and want a decent unit now, here's what I'd suggest:

CPU: Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W-not the 125 watt unit.
Motherboard: ATX motherboard with an AMD 690G chipset- just make sure it has a PCIe x16 slot (most do.) Alternatively, a NVIDIA 570 Ultra board will work too, but the AMD chipset boards are less expensive and run a cooler.
RAM: 2x2 GB DDR2-800
GPU: You can use something like the ATi 2900 Pro with 1 GB VRAM and it would do okay, but if this is a real CAD workstation, pony up for an ATi FireGL or NVIDIA Quadro card as these work better with OpenGL.
Case: Get a decent mid-tower ATX case.
HDD: Up to you, but DON'T use RAID 0. A 320-400 GB SATA unit isn't very expensive and should serve well.
PSU: Depends on the GPU you pick. You seem to want a higher-end one, so 600 watts should be sufficient. Just make sure to get a good one, not a $65 special.
OS: I'd highly suggest 64-bit Linux if your CAD apps run on it, otherwise, Windows XP 64-bit. You'll need a 64-bit OS to use all 4 GB RAM.

-------------------------
 10/01/2007 10:12 AM

Author Icon
spendi00

Thank you so much for your reply.
The system will run rhinoceros 4 and some graphic programs. I believe the suggestion is right. I'm not experienced and as you see, I even offered a reimbursement for a good suggestion which will help me to get to the result faster and safer (no returns and no problems with the work after everything is put together).
But I thank you very much and I will do so
It great help for a lot of students out there
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information