Increase font size
Topic Title: Intellistation 6224 Processor Compatibility
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/20/2007 06:52 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/20/2007 06:52 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Y-Master

Hello,

I have an IBM Intellistation A-Pro with two Opteron 250 processors. I would like to ultimately upgrade the CPUs.

According to the following tables the best processor I can install is the Opteron 256.

http://www-304.ibm.com/jct0100...08&lndocid=MIGR-54639

Here are my questions:
1. Is the Opteron 856 compatible?
2. What is the difference between the 856 and the 256?
3. Will there be a substantial difference in performance between the 256 and the 250?
4. Is there any difference between the 250 and the 256 other than clock speed?
5. Why is it impossible to install dual core Italy processors in this socket 940 mobo? Is it a bios issue? Is there a hack that can make them work?

Thanks!

Y.
 12/21/2007 01:09 AM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

Originally posted by: Y-Master

Here are my questions:

1. Is the Opteron 856 compatible?

Yes, it should be. The 800 series are backwards with the 200 series but it would depend if the computer's BIOS recognizes the 856s or not.

2. What is the difference between the 856 and the 256?

The 256 has two HyperTransport (HT) links: one to the chipset (like any other 64-bit AMD CPU) and another to its neighboring CPU. The 856 has three links: one to the chipset, and two others to communicate with two neighboring CPUs. This third HT link allows for up to 8-way operation on the 856, while the two HT links limit the 256 to two-way operation. Additionally, the lack of a CPU-to-CPU HT link prevents an Athlon 64 or 1xx series or 12xx series Opteron from working in anything but a single-CPU setup.

3. Will there be a substantial difference in performance between the 256 and the 250?

The 250 is a 2.4 GHz chip and the 256/856 are 3.0 GHz chips. You should see something between a 20-25% increase in performance.

4. Is there any difference between the 250 and the 256 other than clock speed?

Not in your case. The 250 in your unit and 256 are both 90 nm single-core CPUs and are otherwise identical except for clock speed.

5. Why is it impossible to install dual core Italy processors in this socket 940 mobo? Is it a bios issue? Is there a hack that can make them work?

Theoretically they should work as machines that support 90 nm Opteron single-core CPUs should work with the dual-core CPUs as well. However, IBM may not have a BIOS update for the unit, which would prevent the Italy CPUs from working. Why don't they have an update? Who knows. They could just not want to be bothered or want you to upgrade to a newer model instead. You'd do better to get the IBM guys on the phone and ask them that question.

If it is just a BIOS issue, you could get the CPUs to work with a BIOS flash. If IBM does not make one that works, then you would have to modify the BIOS yourself. I have not modified a BIOS, but I hear it is possible but doing it wrong can corrupt the BIOS and require an expensive and out-of-warranty motherboard replacement.

Y.

-------------------------

Edited: 12/21/2007 at 01:10 AM by MU_Engineer
 02/29/2008 09:52 AM

Author Icon
Y-Master

Thank you for the excellent reply. I will attempt to figure out how to contact IBM support for this model and see what can be done. I think you are right -- IBM wants you to upgrade to later models, so they have very little incentive to modify the BIOS. Still, an engineer might be nice to me. ;-)
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information