AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Overclocking the new AMD 620 Athlon64 X4 Quad cpu on a MSI 790X Mobo
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/03/2009 12:35 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/03/2009 12:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
chiron69

First of all, I want to say hello to everybody on the forum, since I'm a new user.
I didn't find any seperate section/thread for the Athlon64 X4 620 & 630 line, so I'll post my question here instead. ;-)

The 620 was a HUGE improvement from my old X2 4200+ (5900+OC), especially in games like Need for Speed - Shift,Prototype, Flight Simulator etc. I could up the resolution to 1440x900 or 1600x1200 with 4xAA 4-8xAF on a single ATI Radeon 4670HD card! Impressive stuff! Maybe the added hyperlink(?) from 1000MHz to 3000MHz will help, as well as two more cores to help process the gamecode,

So my question is: My equipment is as follows:
MSI K9A2 CF-F (Rev 1.0(less cpu-power mos-fet's,so cpu can't handle 125Watt cpu's)) Guess how long I've been waiting for 45nm quad-cpu's. :-| But I'm living in a danger-zone, because I don't know the threshold where the mos-fet power regulators fry. Would it help to mount passive coolers on eacxh of them, or should i just get a new mobo if (when ;-)) the MSI mobo fries? MSI didn't alert customers that the Rev1.0 of the K9A2 wouldn't handle 125W cpu's before AFTER a lot of customers reported that their mobos went up in smokee with the first Phenom's.
I even emailed MSI about an RMA, so I could give the mobo back, and buy an ASUS or Gigabyte that could take 125W, but MSI declined my complaint! So they redesigned the K9A2-CF so it could handle 125W cpu's,(rev1.1) but I didn't get any replacement. So All my computer parts from that point will be non-MSI, strangely. ;-) It's wierd how a company is willing to lose their customers that keep them alive for a replacement motherboard that probably cost them 10$. Kudoz to the customer service! ;-)

But this wasn't supposed to be a MSI fry (haha,got it?) but a simple question:

How much would you recommend me to up the FSB on the MSI K9A2, when the cpu-multiplier is locked at 13x, and the cooler is a stock (but have never gone over 60 degrees on any core yet). My ram is 2x1Gb Corsair XMS2 PC6400 CL4 DHX EPP running at 2.1v (I've run them at 1180MHz for a little while w/o problems.)

So, can anybody recommend how warm the Athlon II 620 can be without damaging either the mobo or the cpu?
Or maybe there isn't any answers to my problem? Maybe I just have to test the limits of my motherboard and CPU before they fry? Maybe I should consider a nw motherboard for my AMD X4 620 cpu? In that case, what board would you recommend? Lastly, I apologize for my english, since I'm not an englishman. ;-)

Best regards from
Chiron69
Bergen Norway
 10/03/2009 12:50 PM

Author Icon
geezer_wheelz
Elite

Welcome to the forum!
Well according to this the max temp is 71°C, but I like your idea of keeping it under 60°C!!

Overclocking is all dependent on the CPU temperatures, if you do not have a good CPU heatsink then you cannot throw much voltage at the CPU to overclock it.

Personally, I would turn the FSB up as high as it would go without a voltage increase to the CPU, then I would call it good until you get a decent heatsink like a Freezer 64 or better.

Good luck!

-------------------------
Asus M4A79 Deluxe, Phenom II 940 BE, 20,770 3D06

Asus Moderator ~ My CPU Overheating Guide
 05/27/2010 10:28 PM

Author Icon
revelationman

I have the AMD 620 with a ASUS Board M2N68-AM SE2 right now it is operating at 61 f but sometimes it will go 71 F + ,
the system is running Vista SP 2 is this something I should worry about ?

-------------------------
MSI K9N Platinium Motherboard
AMD 4800 x2 64
3.5 MEG Memory
Nvida 8600 GTS 1 GIG Video
Seagate Barracuda 320 Gig drive SATA
Maxtor Diamond Max 80 Gigs IDE
Windows Vista Business SP 1
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information