Increase font size
Topic Title: Changing HT ref clock / using Overdrive on AMD Athlon 4600+
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/05/2010 05:43 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/05/2010 05:43 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
z999

Hey,

I've tired searching this (here and Google) but came up with nothing (relevant.. at least I think).

I'm trying to either change my HT ref clock somehow or use AMD Overdrive on my AMD Athlon 4600+. The most information I can get about my mobo from CPU-Z is:

Manufacturer: ECS
Model: Nettle 1.0
Chipset: NVIDIA MCP61 Rev. A3
Southbridge: NVIDIA MCP61
LPCIO: ITE

BIOS
Brand: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Version: 5.05
Date: 03/09/2007

I don't know what else to say/give. I'll update with whatever is needed, just need to know what. Thank you for any help and I'll update you guys if I can find anything on the 'net.

Edit: I think I need to do it with software, but I'll try BIOS if it's possible... just don't want to mess around with it without knowing.
 03/05/2010 10:43 AM

Author Icon
X-tremedreamer
Case Modder

I Have had some issues with AOD before in the past, but if I remember right, you need AMD chipsets to successfully run AOD. Even then it is hit and miss. With nVidia chipsets I think you are going to have all kinds of issues. The best way to overclock is in BIOS anyway. The HT reference clock will be listed as FSB core clock, or CPU core clock, depending on the BIOS. Just remember upping your FSB core clock will overclock everything, as NB, HT, and memory are all multis of the FSB core clock. So make sure you look at everything when you do that, as alot of times your memory will get pushed faster then it can handle and cause failure to post. Don't worry when this happens, just reset the BIOS and try again. Overclocking is not just fun but educational. It is unique to every system, and no one can give you specifics, on how to set it up to get the best overclock. Its all trial and error. Fortunately BIOS makers put in a self protect code in so when we are trying to overclock, if something is entered wrong, the motherboard will simply not boot. This protects the hardware from damage. Just dont push things past the limits of your Power supply, or your CPU coolers ability to cool the CPU. (rule of thumb is if you have stock HSF, more then 200-400Mhz OC is not advised.) I have turned a power supply into a box of popcorn overclocking before but that is the extent of the damage I have ever done. I am not going to say that its impossible to fry anything, because I know it can be, but if you take it slow and use a little common sense you should be ok.

-------------------------
 03/05/2010 12:06 PM

Author Icon
z999

Thanks for your help.

I'm a bit afraid to go into the BIOS though. Do you think it would even work? Let me elaborate: I'm temporarily working to test a game and a reported exploit was the ability to break the FPS cap, which makes the players run faster, shoot faster, reload, defuse, plant, etc. faster. (Significantly sometimes.)

The way it happens (to my knowledge) is on Windows 7, when using AMD Overdrive or a similar program, you up the "HT ref clock" which for some reason allows the player to go over the FPS lock. I'm trying to figure out the exact process and why it happens, but first I need to replicate it.

I don't know if it's truth or rumor, but I've been told it only works with some software and on Windows 7, but not from the BIOS.
 03/05/2010 04:03 PM

Author Icon
X-tremedreamer
Case Modder

I that case you will need more information. I know of some software that will enable you to break the FPS cap. I would suppose it is for the reasons you listed above. but even then you have to have a rig that is able to break the FPS cap anyway. If the cap is set to 100 and you can only make 75. then there isnt anything that will alow you to go over it.

For you to replicate some fluke that happened in the wild, you need to know about the hardware of the machine that it happened on as well as the software running. We can narrow it down a little bit by knowing that AOD was first developed for AMDs Spider platform (Phenom x4, AMD's 790 chipset, and ATI's 3xxx series GPU

-------------------------
 03/05/2010 11:49 PM

Author Icon
z999

Right now I know it works on any hardware Overdrive works on off the bat (mostly Phenom IIs), and there's an Intel equivalent, but we don't know any of the specific Intel hardware it works on. The problem is most people use it to cheat in leagues, as at the moment it's undetectable, so no one wants to come forward with info that easily. You've probably never heard of the game, it's not a big title, so the developers never planned for something like this--just file modding and "regular" hacking, you know?

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to test it, as I hit the max FPS on the right settings (constantly).

I'll work on getting more info, thank you for your continued help!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information