Increase font size
Topic Title: Crazy default voltages
Topic Summary: Mobo sets core voltage too high - I'm trying to reduce it
Created On: 04/04/2010 07:51 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/04/2010 07:51 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
spiderwheels

Hello all. I hope someone can help. This is a longish post as its a perculiar problem.

I have an Athlon II X2 250 on a Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H.

This is mainly a Media PC.

I recently tried a game demo and noticed the core CPU temp was over 65C. So I decided to try and undervolt it to see if I could lower the temps.

So I fired up CPUID and noticed the default VCore is 1.472... that's strange as it should be 1.35 surely?

I used the Gigabyte utility EasyTune6 to reduce it down to 1.33 and this dropped the temps down to a more acceptable 55 while running Prime95 or OCCT.

I've heard the EasyTune tools are not regarded for there stability so I decided to go to the BIOS and set the voltage directly.

Now it gets extremely wierd..

The BIOS has a setting for voltage control that is either Auto or Manual. Changing this from Auto to Manual then enabled a subset of options that are all set to 'Normal' by default and allow the various voltages to be changed.

However, setting the CPU VCore to Normal drops it from the 1.472 (that the BIOS selects for itself in Auto mode) down to 1.408. Not a problem except that the System now doesn't Boot and does not Post everytime either - luckily I managed to get back into the BIOS and reset it to Auto.

So the questions are:
1. Why is the voltage so high (1.472) in BIOS Auto mode?
2. Why does BIOS Normal set it to 1.408?
3. Why doesn't this then boot at 1.408?
4. Why is it stable if I change the voltage down to 1.33 in software after boot?
5. Can I use EasyTune6 reliably as it seems the only way to bring the processor in to spec and bring the temps down to something sensible? Is there a good free alternative?
6. Should I send the Gigabyte board back to the shop ?

Thanks for making it to the end of my post.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information