Increase font size
Topic Title: liquid cooling
Topic Summary: opinions
Created On: 08/16/2010 09:10 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/16/2010 09:10 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
NAVI_Z
Deprecated

hey guy's. this is what i was looking at for liquid cooling my rig. whatcha think?

comments;ideas;jabs;crticisms r all welcome.

-------------------------
Cpu-amd phenom 2 x4 965 be oc'd to 4ghz. ram-corsair dominator ddr3
1600mhz@9-9-9-24 3x2gigz chilled w a kingston hyper x ram cooler. grfx-ati hd 5870 xfx
triple x edition.mobo-asus m4a78T-E chipset790gx.hdd-wd velociraptor 300gig wd
cavair green 500gig,samsung spinpoint 250gig. cpu cooler-corsair H-50 hydro liquid cooler.
psu-kingwin 800w. case-NZXT temptest air flow king. os-win7 ultim 64bit.
 08/16/2010 11:07 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

Have you decided what hardware you are going to get? IMO, decide which components you are going to get then plan out your WC'ing setup.

Things to think about:

What components are you going with (non-water cooling components)?
What all do you want water cooled?
How high of an OC are you planning on doing and on what components?
What kiind of case are you going to use?

Based off of the answers to these four things you can then sit down and start planning your WC'ing setup.

Why?

Well, if you are planning a high over clock on all your components then you don't want to do a single loop like you have pictured here. You will be putting too much delta (heat from the components) into the water. The loop you pictured is also in series, meaning that the loop is in a set order, so say your CPU is the first component to be cooled followed by your NB.....your NB now has the added heat to the water from your CPU, thus making the cooling potential to your NB less......The picture you provided shows us that the last item in the loop, the SB chip will have a hard time staying cool because the WC'ing loop is going though all of the other components (CPU>NB/VRM>GPU>SB).

Also, this setup has two RADs.....a single 120mm hidden in the 5.25 bay and a dual 120mm on the top. The one in the front appears to be pulling cool air into the case and the dual is pushing out. This is a poor air flow setup IMO as the single rad is filling the case with hot air and then the dual is pulling that hot air plus the added heat from the rest of the components (i.e. HDD's and PSU) out through that RAD.....not good. Plus, the pump appears to be a 355 series which does not have the pressure nor the head capabilities to be truely effective in this setup....all in all, this individual is not going to be able to achieve a very high OC at all.

Once you have the four questions answered let me know and we can have a sit down, , and get you figured out for WC'ing.

**EDIT**

Forgot to say some stuff.... DAMMNN CRS!! LOL

From what you have been talking about doing in your other threads, you are most likely going to want to do at least two loops (one for your graphics cards alone, and the other for your CPU and MoBo if you are going to do that).

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Edited: 08/16/2010 at 12:13 PM by Canis-X
 08/16/2010 12:14 PM

Author Icon
NAVI_Z
Deprecated

just geting an idea of what i'll need and such.

#1-nb,sb,vr's.
#2-cooling cpu; both cpu's.
#3-modest oc like: 4gigz on cpu. gpu fans r 2 loud at full burn.
#4-NZXT TEMPEST

I'm trying to keep all the components inside the case if possible which is why i chose that picture.

1600mhz@9-9-9-24 3x2gigz chilled w a kingston hyper x ram cooler. grfx-ati hd 5870 xfx
cavair green 500gig,samsung spinpoint 250gig. cpu cooler-corsair H-50 hydro liquid cooler.
 08/16/2010 01:00 PM

Author Icon
slaveondope
Case Modder

No reason to water cool the SB imo unless you just want the bling factor otherwise its just adding heat to you loop for no reason.
Same thing goes for NB and mosfet UNLESS you have a NB that likes to get upwards of 60c.

How bigs the top vent?

More Advanced Micro Devices than Intel
 08/16/2010 01:17 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

@ Slave:

Well, if he goes for a MoBo like the CIVF, it is an all or nothing type heat sink setup since they are all connected. If he does the NB then he has to do the other two or he can cut the stock heatsink up to single out the components, but no-one likes to do that. I agree though, there is no real reason for that unless the NB just runs really hot or he plans on OC'ng the crap out of it.

@ Nav:

Question one....I meant what components are you going with, as in....what MoBo....CPU....GPU(s).....not the parts you are going to WC.

If you are doing multiple GPU's and plan on OCing them a lot, you are going to want to have two loops. I would recommend that you do a triple 120mm rad for that loop and if you are going to do the CPU plus the MoBo you should look at another triple rad there, so you will most likely have your rads exterior to that case since it is not the best setup for water cooling......neither is mine and I will have one rad exterior to my case, on the back. You will most likely be able to fit the rest of the WC'ing components inside though.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 08/16/2010 06:33 PM

Author Icon
NAVI_Z
Deprecated

@Slave: the top has two 140mm fans so maybe a tripple rad on top.

@Cannis: i'm only gonna cool the cpu and both gpu's.i'm not cooling the nb or sb or mosfets(vr's). i dont plan on oc'ing the "crap" out of them. lol. proly 4gigz cpu. the main reason i'm cooling the gpu's is because the stock fans are too darn loud when i play games on high settings.sounds like a hair dryer! also the bling factor.so two loops,tripple rad. two pumps or one?

the new parts im getting are as follows:

mobo-asus M4A89TD PRO/USB3
gpu's-twin 5870's xfire
cpu-BULLDOZER!!

08/16/2010 11:58 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

you'll have to see what kind TDP BD is gonna put out but you should definitely do a dual loop. You can do a single res (dual loop purpose like Primochill makes but you will have to go with two pumps.

08/17/2010 12:07 AM

Author Icon
OC Maximus
Deprecated

Phenom II 965BE @ 6.22GHz on LN2

08/17/2010 12:33 AM

Author Icon
slaveondope
Case Modder

I personally would go a single loop like you posted in the OP. Same routing with a 120.2 up top*exhaust, 120.2 in the front*intake.
A D5 pump has more than enough to handle cpu/2 gpu blocks and youd be really crowded running a dual loop.
BD tdp is either going to be the same or less than current chips.

More Advanced Micro Devices than Intel
 08/17/2010 01:17 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

yeah but two GPU's are going to put a lot of delta into the water. Just my two cents. You can call sidewinder and ask his advice also if you want, but I am willing to bet that he will tell you the same.

If you are looking for looks then a single will do the job....if you are looking for performance then dual is the way to go.

Edited: 08/17/2010 at 07:52 AM by Canis-X
 08/17/2010 10:52 AM

Author Icon
NAVI_Z
Deprecated

looks like i'll have to get a full tower for both loops.my case now is preatty cramped as it is.i was looking at this tower:

http://www.nzxt.com/new/produc...rafted_series/phantom

it should acomodate what i'll need.

Edited: 08/17/2010 at 11:02 AM by NAVI_Z
 08/17/2010 11:57 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

That is a dammnn sexy case my friend!!! Should definitely give you ALL of the space that you could ever need. Even accommodates a ASUS Ares 5970 with the greatest of ease...LOL (everyone should go to the gallery on that link and check it out...it is very nice looking!!)

First thing I would do would be remove the extra HDD bay cage and put your pumps there.....everything else is gravy

The only down side of it is Newegg doesn't sell it, that I can see, so there are no consumer reviews out for it there to really give a sense of the quality of the build and any idiosyncrasies and/or issues with it (you know they all have them)....LOL

08/17/2010 06:57 PM

Author Icon
NAVI_Z
Deprecated

check down futher on the page and you'll see a video on there that reviews the tower.btw, e-bay has it for 135.00! also check youtube. i found a bunch of reviews on it as well.

08/17/2010 10:24 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

If they are professional reviews I really wouldn't put much stock in them....I hold consumer opinion to a much more honest standard.

08/17/2010 10:40 PM

Author Icon
NAVI_Z
Deprecated

so you know bout the asus ares huh? thats one badass gfx card! i only wish! imagine two of those in quad x-fire! sick!

11/08/2010 10:03 PM

Author Icon
NAVI_Z
Deprecated

had to hold off.looks like some good stuff's gonna hit next year. gonna wait and c.i'll keep ya'll posted.

09/06/2011 04:27 AM

Author Icon
darenbresman
Lurker

NICE to sharing this thanks
 09/06/2011 09:22 PM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

Originally posted by: NAVI_Z

hey guy's. this is what i was looking at for liquid cooling my rig. whatcha think?

comments;ideas;jabs;crticisms r all welcome.

That exact water cooling setup has a few issues.

1. You do not need to liquid-cool the VRMs. If you get a decent board, there will be plenty of VRM phases to handle several hundred amps without getting overly hot with passive air cooling.

2. You do not need to liquid-cool the northbridge. No AMD northbridge I've ever seen needs more than a passive air cooler. Besides, you have a Black Edition CPU and you won't need to bump the HT bis clock much of any if at all, so the NB is running at stock speed. Stock cooling would be fine.

3. There are no hose clamps anywhere. I think he put 7/16 ID tubing on 1/2" barbs using friction, which *should* be OK, but if it were me, I'd put clamps on there.

4. I see no easy way to bleed air from the system. The reservoir is at the bottom of the loop and I see no T-line, unless it is hidden underneath the bottom side panel attachment rail.

5. It cools an Intel i5 CPU. They shell out all of that money on the fancy liquid cooling setup and then try to OC a crippled chip. At least get the unit with the full L3 cache and HyperThreading so you can get better benchmark scores

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information