Increase font size
Topic Title: Overclocking a GPU
Topic Summary: HD6950
Created On: 08/26/2011 06:46 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/26/2011 06:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Fallen-Angek.Igor
Fanboi

Hello guys,

I own the Sapphire HD6950, which is running @800Mhz and with the Catalyst Software I can oc it to 840, but then I get horizontal stripes sometimes, like flickering in the middle of the screen. I played Crysis 2 and some other games and it works fine, but when I use Firefox and close a Tab or minimize a Video from full screen to it's original there is just a little flickering of the stripes. I also overclocked the Memory of the Graphics Card from 1250 to it's maximum 1350Mhz.
Sorry if there are already threads about this topic, I didn't find any. (Am a noob in GPU oc)

Best regards,

FA

-------------------------
">http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1991645"

Edited: 08/26/2011 at 06:54 PM by Fallen-Angek.Igor
 08/26/2011 11:34 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

You may need to increase the voltage a tad to stabilize the OC out. Personally, I only OC my cards when I am benching or if I need to in a game, otherwise in any all 2D environments it really doesn't do you any good.

Try out MSI Afterburner to be able to adjust your gpu vcore. You will need to go into the "MSIAfterburner.cfg" file and change the following settings:

UnofficialOverclockingEULA = 0
UnofficialOverclockingMode = 0

TO:
UnofficialOverclockingEULA = I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
UnofficialOverclockingMode = 1

Please bear in mind that by changing these settings and using the program you run the risk of damaging your card if you haphazardly OC it. You should always take your time and bump your freqs and voltages in small increments......and ALWAYS pay very close attention to your temps!

Further information concerning the program and how to use it can be found on most OC sites. Please research the program and become as familiar with how to use it safely before you begin using it.

Not to beat a dead horse, but use this program at your own risk......you have been warned.

Good luck and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Cheers!

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 08/27/2011 08:22 AM

Author Icon
Fallen-Angek.Igor
Fanboi

O.K. thanks. In this case I don't really need to oc my card, because all games are running well, but nevertheless it's good to know how to do it. ^^ I thank you for this info, will try that out, but first I'll get more information about this things ^^

Thank you.

08/27/2011 09:15 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

It is a good thing to learn though. I just am overly cautious when exposing info that could harm components to people that are just learning about it. Some jump the gun and go straight for a high OC not knowing that it could blow their stuff up. Better to error on the side of caution IMO....lol

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 08/27/2011 01:24 PM

Author Icon
Fallen-Angek.Igor
Fanboi

I agree! It's obvious that a beginner should learn what he or she is about to do to the hardware and you never know how he's gonna deal with your info. But I'm very careful in terms of oc and temperatures. ^^

09/10/2011 08:56 AM

Author Icon
Stilenet
Lurker

will msi afterburner work for the HD 5770 1GB gpu too?

Taking over the world...One Mhz at a time...
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information