Increase font size
Topic Title: OC instructions for a n00b
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/30/2004 01:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/30/2004 01:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
kevo
Overclocker

I have never OCed, but would like to learn how to OC my rig. Can anyone either spell out or provide a link that can walk me through the process. (for a 64 3200+ 754)

I have read so many of the posts here and so I'm a bit familiar with the process, but don't know what exactly I need to do. I wish I had a step by step that included any programs I need to have to make the changes and see if my system is stable or not.

I realize that this may require a detailed response, but I'd really appreciate the time.

Thanks!

-------------------------
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
Gateway GT5426E
ATI Radeon HD 5750 GPU
4 gig DDR2 ram
550 watt BFG PSU
Vista home premium
 11/30/2004 01:40 PM

Author Icon
Le_Petit_Lapin

Try reading this:

Overclocking guide' ">http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=16788

Its a lot more detailed than anything I could type off the top of my head.

If you still have any questions (doubtful, its a pretty good guide) post them up and I'm sure someone will be here to awnser them.

Oh, and "Good Luck"
 11/30/2004 07:13 PM

Author Icon
kevo
Overclocker

QUOTE (Le_Petit_Lapin @ Nov 30 2004, 10:40 AM) Try reading this:

Overclocking guide' ">http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=16788

Its a lot more detailed than anything I could type off the top of my head.

If you still have any questions (doubtful, its a pretty good guide) post them up and I'm sure someone will be here to awnser them.

Oh, and "Good Luck"
Thanks for the link! I'll definately read it.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
Gateway GT5426E
ATI Radeon HD 5750 GPU
4 gig DDR2 ram
550 watt BFG PSU
Vista home premium
 12/02/2004 12:04 PM

Author Icon
kevo
Overclocker

I've read it and have learned some neat stuff. One question, though. Must I raise the voltage when I'm raising the FSB, or only if there is a problem?

Also, does changing the FSB up my overall MHZ, ie can I use this technique to go to 2100mhz from 2000mhz?

Quote from the article:

How to overclock in processors with superlocked multiplers
The user can't change multipiers but can overclock via FSB
At boot, when you hear the speaker beep or while the system is testing the memory press the "DEL" key to enter BIOS (some motherboards needs other keys to enter BIOS, refer to user's guide for details) once there, scroll the menu and enter "Advanced Chipset Features" or something like that, pump up the "System frequency" (FSB) about 10Mhz above the default setting (i.e. for FSB 266Mhz processors, 143Mhz; for FSB 333Mhz processors, 176Mhz and for FSB 400Mhz processors 210Mhz). To do so, you must set the "system performance" from "optimal" to "user define" or "expert" whatever you BIOS says; save and reboot.
If the system reboots, get into Windows and test the system with Prime95 for several hours (overnight is great)
If the system fails the test, pump up the voltage in small 0,05v steps, (if you are experience NO temperature problems) and test it always keeping an eye on temps.;
If at the time you reach the 1,85v setting, the system still fails the test, back down FSB.
If the system pass the test you can increase FSB in small 1 to 5Mhz steps and vcore voltage (if you're experience NO temperature problems), I insist that much in temperature because it's processor's enemy nº1.
Now, if the system doesn't reboot and the speacker becames to "talk", take it easy, all you have to do is to clean the CMOS. To do it, you must turn off PSU, take out the CMOS battery (looks like a niquel in motherboard), wait for 10secs and put it back, turn on PSU and reboot. In some mobos, it's needed to move the respective jumper or switch (refer to user's guide for details).
After rebooting you will probably get the message "default setup loaded" or something like that. Enter BIOS and set the FSB 2Mhz back the point were it crashed or, pump up the voltage only if you are experience NO temperature problems 1,85v is the "safe" voltage on air cooling systems.
In resume, that's it.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
Gateway GT5426E
ATI Radeon HD 5750 GPU
4 gig DDR2 ram
550 watt BFG PSU
Vista home premium
 12/02/2004 12:18 PM

Author Icon
kevo
Overclocker

One other question. I'm looking to only oc my fsb. Am I required to change my ram settings or other things?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
Gateway GT5426E
ATI Radeon HD 5750 GPU
4 gig DDR2 ram
550 watt BFG PSU
Vista home premium
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information