Increase font size
Topic Title: Wire Sleeving
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/29/2005 05:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/29/2005 05:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

I'm considering sleeving my Tagan (the molex/sata are unsleeved, dont as me why). If I have enough tubing, I'll even untwist them so they become longer, I'm sure I could get a few extra inches off each one.

I'm going to use zipties on the top, near the actual unit, since I don't want a flame up there. It will be a really tight ziptie and will likely hold it better than the heatshrink, but it will look bad.

The one thing I'm sure everyone will jump on me for is this. That power supply took me forever to get into the case. It just did. The opening is rediculously small. I'm not going to take apart the board and the whole machine to do this. That's right. I'm doing it with the machine intact.

Now don't hit fast reply yet. It will of course be off. All the way off. I will only be doing heatshrink beyond the start, so I will be ~1.5ft away from the computer when using the flame. If your stuff was all on one desk when you were doing this, it'd be the same. On top of that, I'll have the case turned around, so that a spark or whatever could happen would have to penetrate metal case to get to my stuff. I'm pretty confident this really isn't very risky at all if I take my time.

My biggest concern is how little I have. I have about 6' of tubing and 1' of heatshrink. I'll be lucky if I can even finish the power supply. So I'll do a molex first, then SATA power, then another molex, then another molex. If I have some after that then it won't be enough for another molex so I'll think up something.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone had any advise or things they learned while doing theirs...

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above exactly represent those of the Intel Corporation and all of its affiliates.
Official Intel™ Propaganda Spreader
"Bringing you the benchmarks that everyone knows are fake" ~ SINCE 2006 ~<!--
 09/29/2005 06:23 PM

Author Icon
trickson

yes when using the heatshrink tubbing be very carful not to put the heat gun too close to any part of the mobo or wireing as it will melt any wires and can damage the mobo. as for sheathing the wires you realy should take it apart and do them out of the case this enshure nothing gets fryed . it is up to you but I advise against it . take a look at my case setup. http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=45825' ">http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=45825
this is a thread on my case and the work I have done over the while take a look and see . have fun /biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' /> .

EVGA 680i mobo , Q6600 @3.4GHz , Ultra Chill Tech CPU Cooler , BFG8800GT/OC , ASUS 8800GT 720/1000 video cards SLI with Tt DuOrb VGA cooler , Corsair XMS2 800MHz 4-4-4-10 2T 2GB RAM , rocketfish 700W PSU , LG Flatron L222WT monitor , Cmstacker Case , SMOKIN FAST!! .
 09/29/2005 07:40 PM

Author Icon
bp1019

I'm with trickson. It would be the best idea to clear out the contents of the case to install all the heatshrinks. Even if you are 100% confident that nothing will go wrong, is it really worth the risk of ruining some of your hardware?

-Proud owner of a DFI because chicks dig "Big" OCs
Repsgaminglounge
 09/29/2005 08:01 PM

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

im just doing the power supply
so i will be doing eveyrhting out of the case
its no riskier than having the PSU out of the case

heat gun? i was going to use a lighter

The opinions expressed above exactly represent those of the Intel Corporation and all of its affiliates.
 09/29/2005 08:12 PM

Author Icon
bp1019

Good luck, a lighter will be much safer with all the components still in the case. /biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' />

-Proud owner of a DFI because chicks dig "Big" OCs
Repsgaminglounge
 09/29/2005 08:30 PM

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

maybe im not explaining it right nevermind
but ill see if i can track down a camera for after i finish

09/29/2005 10:10 PM

Author Icon
trickson

a lighter??? WTF!! your are going to burn your house down don't ever use a lighter it will make the HST turn black and can realy mess up the PSU wireing . but do as you see fit .

EVGA 680i mobo , Q6600 @3.4GHz , Ultra Chill Tech CPU Cooler , BFG8800GT/OC , ASUS 8800GT 720/1000 video cards SLI with Tt DuOrb VGA cooler , Corsair XMS2 800MHz 4-4-4-10 2T 2GB RAM , rocketfish 700W PSU , LG Flatron L222WT monitor , Cmstacker Case , SMOKIN FAST!! .
 09/30/2005 08:23 PM

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

thats what the instructions said to use
you move it quick so it doesnt burn obviously

i decided not to do it though, i spent all night just moving the cables around, sleeving woudl take me weeks i bet

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information