Increase font size
Topic Title: SFF modding...
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/23/2005 10:28 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/23/2005 10:28 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Calvn_Swing

So,

I'm going to modding my ZmaxDP - see sig - so that I can actually keep my 275s running at something less than 50C. Whatever I do I will be repeating in a few months when I get the next ZmaxD2. (PCI-e version!

The problem? The air that blows across the CPU heatsinks also blows through the tightly packed PSU and that sucks (no puns intended).

So, I'm going to remove the PSU from the case alltogether and create an external PSU. The trick is to somehow make this connect to the computer in some way that only the wires are required to be in the case. So, some sort of plug/connector at the back of the case. (This will make room for possibly watercooling the case if the air temps don't come down enough to satisfy me. Hopefully they will though!

I've got a few ideas running in my head, but want to see if anyone here has any suggestions?

ALSO,

I'm going to be building a new computer with an FX 57 in it. I don't really keep up with socket 939 stuff as much (obviously I'm a 940 guy myself) so I'm looking for some suggestions on that end. Since its going to be the first overclockable CPU I'll have owned, I want to overclock it. Also, I want it to be a mATX board so I can put it in a SFF case. Anyway, I'm on a pretty tight budget, so I'm looking for value parts I can overclock to fancy part performance levels. Suggestions on any component are welcome!

-------------------------
Iwill Zmax DP SFF Barebones kit... (300W PSU, 8 USB, 1 FW, etc...)
Dual AMD Opteron 275's | 2 Gigs (2 Dimms 1024Mb) Patriot RAM 3-3-3-8
WD Caviar 80 Gig HDD - System
WD Raptor 74 Gig HDD
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256
NEC ND-3520A Dual Layer DVD±RW | Mitsumi Floppy/Card Reader combo
 11/14/2005 12:44 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

QUOTE(Calvn_Swing @ Oct 23 2005, 10:28 PM)So,

I'm going to modding my ZmaxDP - see sig - so that I can actually keep my 275s running at something less than 50C. Whatever I do I will be repeating in a few months when I get the next ZmaxD2. (PCI-e version!

The problem? The air that blows across the CPU heatsinks also blows through the tightly packed PSU and that sucks (no puns intended).

So, I'm going to remove the PSU from the case alltogether and create an external PSU. The trick is to somehow make this connect to the computer in some way that only the wires are required to be in the case. So, some sort of plug/connector at the back of the case. (This will make room for possibly watercooling the case if the air temps don't come down enough to satisfy me. Hopefully they will though!

I've got a few ideas running in my head, but want to see if anyone here has any suggestions?

ALSO,

I'm going to be building a new computer with an FX 57 in it. I don't really keep up with socket 939 stuff as much (obviously I'm a 940 guy myself) so I'm looking for some suggestions on that end. Since its going to be the first overclockable CPU I'll have owned, I want to overclock it. Also, I want it to be a mATX board so I can put it in a SFF case. Anyway, I'm on a pretty tight budget, so I'm looking for value parts I can overclock to fancy part performance levels. Suggestions on any component are welcome!
[right][snapback]529830[/snapback][/right]

Don't create an external PSU and go thru all that trouble. Replace that 300-watter with an ePower PumaII 450W (max output on that psu is 520W /biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' /> ). I have one and it works quite well.

I haven't found any mATX mobos that are skt 940. There is a skt 939 mATX mobo here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...asp?...N82E16813138269' ">http://www.newegg.com/Product/...p?Item=N82E16813138269

Along with that you could get a skt 939 opteron and OC that like mad...those biostar boards are pretty good for OC'ing, according to what I've heard about them (read the reviews for that mobo, they're pretty good) /cool.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='cool.gif' />
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information