AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: 2 Pin fan. how do i use it?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/05/2005 08:24 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/05/2005 08:24 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon

i replaced my PSU a week ago and wanted to use the old fan in the PSU as an extra case fan, but the fan is only 2 pinned, red and black. is there a way so that i can use it without a connector?

i was thinking of snipping the pin off, shave the insulation, then do the same to a 4 pin molex and connect the wires.

ALSO one thing to ask.. can i use an ATX PSU in a micro atx case? i tried to it in and it fit in the slot perfectly, but insteading of holding it up with 4 screws, it uses 2, other then that it seems fine, but i have yet to turn the PC on and test it. would it work?

-------------------------
Athlon 64 3200+ Stock Venice
Gigabyte 6600GT
Asus A8N-E
1 gig Ram
FSP Bluestorm AX500
 07/05/2005 08:28 PM

Author Icon
elite_athlon

QUOTE(810 @ Jul 5 2005, 06:24 PM)i replaced my PSU a week ago and wanted to use the old fan in the PSU as an extra case fan, but the fan is only 2 pinned, red and black. is there a way so that i can use it without a connector?

i was thinking of snipping the pin off, shave the insulation, then do the same to a 4 pin molex and connect the wires.

ALSO one thing to ask.. can i use an ATX PSU in a micro atx case? i tried to it in and it fit in the slot perfectly, but insteading of holding it up with 4 screws, it uses 2, other then that it seems fine, but i have yet to turn the PC on and test it. would it work?
[right][snapback]453034[/snapback][/right]

well just buy a new fan there only like $2 &yes it sholud work if it fits and all the connecter fit

Join a real forum - http://www.compsupportforums.com/
 07/08/2005 09:55 AM

Author Icon
snithead88

Goto a computer store and ask them if they sell a Molex connector that has a 3 pin connector on it, it has just red and black, no yellow and its already hooked into the Molex connector, see my "Project Airflow" post in gallery section for pictures of one.

Free Sigs, Ask. AM3 Score
 07/13/2005 09:04 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

or u could just sand off the little tab on top, and plug it into a 3 pin connector. the 3rd pin is only for monitoring rpms, so its not liek the fan wont work if u dont hav the 3rd pin connected.

My GT430 Is Folding For AMD Team 34106
FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
Thanks to KLEETUS for his generous donation of components!!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information