Increase font size
Topic Title: CFM and Flowing Air Pressure
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/22/2005 11:08 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/22/2005 11:08 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
zincschumacher

I've as a friend who work in my relative's engineering company (Work on Huge Air conditioning system).

I asked him that the CFM (Air flow rate) or Flowing Air Pressure increase when my fans are placed in parallel.

He answered as that.
"Serial Fans arrangment will increase he Flowing Air Pressure, and Parallel arrangement will increase the CFM (Air Flow Rate)."

I now thinking my first mod by using two equal rpm fans linked up in serial by paper case would have a doubled Flowing Air Pressure.

I would also like to know, Compressed Air means the flow is high? or the Flowing Air Pressure high?

by the way...my Computer photos are here....just taken by little webcam..^^

http://zinc_schumacher.sinatown.com/computer.htm' ">http://zinc_schumacher.sinatown.com/computer.htm

-------------------------

------Zinc Schumacher------
 01/23/2005 09:46 PM

Author Icon
harleybro

I don't believe you would see a cfm change in parallel unless they where ducted. Say 2 120mm fans in parrallel going into a 120x120 duct would increase cfm. If you had 2 parallel goin into a 120x240 duct it wouldn't increase cfm. As for compressed air well it is air that has been compressed(made smaller) to fit into a smaller container.

AM3 112,659' ">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/a...iew.php?run=1497574217 3dm01 39,110' ">http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8668017 3dm03 21,901' ">http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=4122341
 01/23/2005 10:39 PM

Author Icon
mtrupi

QUOTE (harleybro @ Jan 23 2005, 06:46 PM) I don't believe you would see a cfm change in parallel unless they where ducted. Say 2 120mm fans in parrallel going into a 120x120 duct would increase cfm. If you had 2 parallel goin into a 120x240 duct it wouldn't increase cfm. As for compressed air well it is air that has been compressed(made smaller) to fit into a smaller container.
As oppsed to 1 120mm fan? Both cases would increase CFM. The 120X120 duct would increase pressure also. Since the fans we're talking about don't handle much back pressure as general rule the 120X120 duct would have a smaller increase than the 120X240.

For general cooling of the enclosure more CFM is better. For cooling of a specific component it is the temperature of the air and it's velocity at the component and/or it's heatsink. This is where compressed air migh be helpful in getting extremely high velocities. But for any specific case there will be a point where higher velocity gets little more in return.
 01/24/2005 10:26 AM

Author Icon
zincschumacher

As for directing air flow inside the case, should the flowing-air-pressure be more important? Because weaker the velocity of air, it easier to spread and loss the direction!

------Zinc Schumacher------
 01/24/2005 10:48 AM

Author Icon
mtrupi

QUOTE (zincschumacher @ Jan 24 2005, 07:26 AM) As for directing air flow inside the case, should the flowing-air-pressure be more important? Because weaker the velocity of air, it easier to spread and loss the direction!
What's important depends on many factors. A pressurized case gives you the option of duct work and baffles to control where the air goes bercause the pressure will tend to fill the enclosure and the enclosure design controls where the air movement is. Typically blowers are used for this as they do a better job of this. Two serial PC case fans will do this better than a single fan. Then it dpend on where the outlet fans, other holes, etcetera are to determine where the air flows. This is not how a typical PC case is set to operate. Usually the air pressure differential isn't very high but a large volume of air flows through the box. Then specific hot part have fans or large heatsinks for localized cooling. Since I'm not sure what you're after I didn't have a direct answer, sorry. Maybe others can add to or correct any mistakes I might have in this short dissertation.
 02/11/2005 05:49 PM

Author Icon
wole04

hey zincschumacher, we have the same case - nice case isn't it, but it's rather small and things get crammped up in there. anyway i'm trying to increase my case exhaust but i have no more fan slots. (there's a topic here about air flow setup that shows my current setup)

Anyway does anybody know of a case fan that has a high cfm and uses a 3 pin connection?? Kinda like the vantec tornado but that uses 4 pin.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information