Increase font size
Topic Title: New system cooling
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/30/2006 06:33 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/30/2006 06:33 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
christopher.wofford

Hi guys! I am new to the forums, and hope to pick some experts brains on cooling.
I put together a new system last night, as follows:

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.2 Ghz San Diego 1mb L2 cache
Zalman upright cooling fan
Arctic Silver 5
Asus K8 Deluxe (latest model)
Antec case with top mount fan, large 120mm back fan, front intake, side exhaust, PS has 2 fans
2 gb OCZ DDR ram PC500 (2x 1GB) Gold Version
EVGA NVIDIA 7900 GT KO (Superclocked)
500 watt PS

After installing only windows and drivers, I installed the Asus Temp monitor that came on disc. This is supposed to be a very accurate reading.

As the computer stands now, the idle CPU temp is 34-35 C, and under load (WoW) jumps to 42-44 C
I know that these are normal temps, however I figured they would be a bit lower with a huge heatsink/fan and good cooling case. The Mobo temp always stays around 36 C

I plan to overclock and would like to get these temps down before I do

Any ideas?
I did notice that some of the thermal paste was pushed out from under the heatsink, maybe I added too much?
 06/30/2006 06:50 AM

Author Icon
MrWicked1968
Drunk Mouse Syndrome

those temps don't sound bad, but you may have applied too much AS5. depending on your preferred method...either use a very small amount (about the size of a grain of rice) and let the heat sink spread the compound...or spread the compound yourself using either the edge of a credit card, or use your finger inside a plastic sandwich bag thats been turned inside out to spread a very thin layer over top of the cpu.

-------------------------
Rig 1: AM2 X2 4850e--MSI K9N Neo V3--2x1gb Mushkin DDR2 800--Sapphire HD4830--Corsair VX450--Acer H213H-Win XP
Rig 2:Athlon X2 7850 Kuma--Biostar 780L--2x1gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800--Asus Formula HD4770--Corsair VX450--LG Flatron W2252TQ-Win 7 32-bit Premium
Capitalism rocks!
 06/30/2006 07:08 AM

Author Icon
christopher.wofford

Yes, it definitely sounds like I used too much compound. I want to reseat the zalman cooler tonight anyways, right now I think it is putting too much pressure on the mobo, so just incase I'll add some spacers and re-apply a much smaller amount of paste.

Also, the only bug/problem I have had at all is the onboard sound. It works, but in games it is randomly loud then muffle, loud then muffled. I'm going to try to find updated sound drivers, but usually Asus is really good about sound. Any ideas?

06/30/2006 07:21 AM

Author Icon
Smogsy

i had that on my DFI sound i bought new soundcard in end
 06/30/2006 01:33 PM

Author Icon
CBI Elite

Don't forget, your CPU and Mobo temperatures are directly related to your room's ambient temp. If it gets warm in there, it will be almost impossible to drop below a certain limit. However, that's a real nice idle/load...especially for summer!

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ E3 @ 2.6GHz/1.44V | Asus A8N-SLi V1014
eVGA 7900 GS @ 525MHz/1,450MHz | <a href="http://ww
 07/03/2006 12:50 PM

Author Icon
christopher.wofford

Yes, I think I am going to try a few things this upcoming weekend.

First off, I know id id the paste wrong, I want to clear that up so it won't be an issue.
Second, I can do something really cool with the system.
AC in my house is constantly on, and the intake is right behind my desk.
My room stays between 70-75 degrees all day/night.
I can position the rear of the case against the AC intake to suck hot air out.
Only problem with this is getting more air in. I figured I could test first to see if there is a difference.
The current case is great, and I am happy with the temps. My roomate has the a similar processor/fan and is running the same temps. I guess I should be happy.

My only concern is that I have never been a big fan of OC'ing, but for fun I want to see what can be done.
If my temp with a huge zalman heatsink is still this close to stock, i would hate to think what OC'ing might do...but i'll test little bit by little bit.
 07/04/2006 10:50 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Hey I really wouldn't worry about temps...I have the exact same CPU, and my load is(checking right now)50-52C. Your temps aren't bad at all...you defenitely have a bit of headroom to overclock.

My GT430 Is Folding For AMD Team 34106
FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
Thanks to KLEETUS for his generous donation of components!!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information