Increase font size
Topic Title: Quieting down a PSU
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/21/2006 07:56 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/21/2006 07:56 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
zero1789

Hello,
I have modded my 2 case fans (to reduce the noise of my PC) to 7 volts using resistors. Now, i have another small problem. My PSU is creating the rest of the noise. It's a 350W, 12 cm fan. I was wondering. if i stuck a resistor on that, would it make much difference to the heat of the PSu. I don't use my PC for much, but sometimes for games.
Any help would be much appreciated. thanks.
 01/21/2006 11:50 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mkw87

QUOTE(zero1789 @ Jan 21 2006, 08:56 AM)Hello,
I have modded my 2 case fans (to reduce the noise of my PC) to 7 volts using resistors. Now, i have another small problem. My PSU is creating the rest of the noise. It's a 350W, 12 cm fan. I was wondering. if i stuck a resistor on that, would it make much difference to the heat of the PSu. I don't use my PC for much, but sometimes for games.
Any help would be much appreciated. thanks.
[right][snapback]600846[/snapback][/right]

I would not mess with the RPM's/Voltage supply of your psu fan, unless you want to risk frying it and everything else in there (doesn't always happen but sometimes it will).

One option, which I've never done, it to change your psu fan to a larger one if possible, which can run slower/quieter and move the same amount of air to provide proper cooling. I'm sure someone will provide more info (a link?) where people have done this.

Another option is to buy a better psu that will run quieter (a high quality one, antec, enermax, etc).
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information