Increase font size
Topic Title: Beefing up my audio
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/14/2006 08:23 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/14/2006 08:23 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
MagickalShadow

I was using my on-board ac'97 audio with a $20 set of Altec-Lansing 2.1 speakers I bought about 4 years ago. This was an adequate set up for me as I only use my PC for my personal needs and I have a 5.1 surround set up in my living room for family use.

Yesterday I got the upgrade bug but I had a budget of $200 so I set out to see what I could do without ordering my stuff online (I will be busy after this weekend and wanted to enjoy it before the week starts). So, I went to Circuit City and looked over their stock of audio cards. They had everything from $20 Turtle Beach to $300 Creative cards. After looking over my options I went with an $80 Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4.

My sights now set on speakers I had to keep in mind that I really didn't need 5.1 or 7.1 surround because I don't really sit still when listening to music on my PC, I usually am up and around working and when I game I use headphones. So I looked mainly at 2.1 speaker systems and went with the Creative I-Trigue 3300 2.1 speaker system also for $80.

Total money spent: $160 which is $40 under budget but I am truly happy with the sound I get from my system now. For sound on a tight budget, I think this is as good as it gets. With the $40 left over, my wife bought me a set of Radio Shack Wireless headphones which are also nice sounding. Certainly not the top of the line stuff, but very good sounding none the less.

-------------------------
 01/17/2006 01:39 AM

Author Icon
DeejMaster

Sounds like you did well. I bought a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz and ran the speaker outputs to an old 400 Watt Pioneer FM Amplifier-Equalizer combo. Sounded awesome with 2 X 3 ft. Towers (3 in Tweeter, 5 in Mid-Range and 12 in Woofer).

Besides the hum at low volume, the windows were rattling to the beat of Z-Z Top when the volume knob was at 4. I kindly unhooked it, realizing that I will never game with that much sound. But if I ever get the inkling, I will put in an in-line switch so I can listen to my PC Speakers during normal operations, then kick them over to the Pioneer when I am outside washing the car.

-------------------------
Deej

WinXP Pro - Athlon 64X2 4200 - AsRock 939 Dual-SATA Mobo - Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro
 02/05/2006 06:09 AM

Author Icon
Jahz

On my last rig I discovered that my nvidia nForce audio controller could output pure uncompressed digital via coax (something the audigy1 can't do... not sure about the latest models). Picked myself up a set of Klipsch 5.1 speakers with their own amp, coax input and dolby digital decoding.

5.1 ch surround DVD's sound... wow... just no words...

P.S. - they audigy is now proping the door open (not really, lol)
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information