AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: EL wire connected to HDD activity header?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/11/2007 11:14 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/11/2007 11:14 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
zagnut

Can the mobo header supply enough current and voltage? I just picked an EL wire up a couple days ago and the back specs say it has an input current range of 45-70mA. Is that what the transformer/ballast draws from its source to power the wire? Or is that what the transformer/ballast output to the wire?

Hmmm. I know a single HDD led doesn't draw hardly any current. And if you can power a fan off a mobo header, you would assume...

I haven't checked the header voltage, but that's a real pretty small current draw.

If the header puts out 3.3v's, like I'm thinking it does, I could probably use a small relay, powered by the header, to trigger the el wire on/off, which would draw it's power from the ps.

What you guys think? Think it's possible? I can't find ANYTHING anywhere on the net about how much a header can supply. I'm afraid to find out the hard way.

-------------------------
GUN'S KILL PEOPLE LIKE SPOONS MADE ROSIE O'DONNELL FAT
 02/12/2007 12:36 AM

Author Icon
EdG

If you mean the fan headers, AMD desktop boards are supposed to support 12W fan headers, thast iof the board maker follows the specs. My old AMD 1.2GHz board had 6W fan headers.

02/12/2007 01:32 AM

Author Icon
zagnut

I know the fan headers would work, but the header that blinks the HDD LED is what I'm wondering about. Thanks though.

02/12/2007 02:25 AM

Author Icon
mtrupi

quote:

Originally posted by: Zagnut
Can the mobo header supply enough current and voltage? I just picked an EL wire up a couple days ago and the back specs say it has an input current range of 45-70mA. Is that what the transformer/ballast draws from its source to power the wire? Or is that what the transformer/ballast output to the wire?

Hmmm. I know a single HDD led doesn't draw hardly any current. And if you can power a fan off a mobo header, you would assume...

I haven't checked the header voltage, but that's a real pretty small current draw.

If the header puts out 3.3v's, like I'm thinking it does, I could probably use a small relay, powered by the header, to trigger the el wire on/off, which would draw it's power from the ps.

What you guys think? Think it's possible? I can't find ANYTHING anywhere on the net about how much a header can supply. I'm afraid to find out the hard way.

It should work, but a relay might be too much current or require too much voltage. Consider an opto-isolator or transistor circuit. The header might be +5V but I don't recall.
 02/12/2007 02:52 AM

Author Icon
EdG

quote:

Originally posted by: Zagnut
I know the fan headers would work, but the header that blinks the HDD LED is what I'm wondering about. Thanks though.

That header is low current, LEDs only eat up around 20mA.
Most LEDs use around 2V, I think it's 4V for those blue and white ones.

02/12/2007 03:53 PM

Author Icon
zagnut

quote:

Originally posted by: mtrupi
Consider an opto-isolator or transistor circuit.

That's exactly the conclusion I'm coming to. Thanks guys. I get around to it, I'll post a couple pics.

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information