Topic Title: Water Cooling
Topic Summary: Outdated to speak of?
Created On: 08/20/2007 12:21 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/20/2007 12:21 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Linux Ninja

I have never heard many of us mention Water Cooling in a while. Is it becoming a taboo.

I have airflow problems, and when I get my new system which I am going to spend a lot of money on, I am considering it.

I hear a lot, however, that orthodox airflow is sometimes more effective...
 08/20/2007 12:29 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

I tell ya, water cooling has always scared me, not just becuase its expensive, but because theres no redundancy. if a tube pops off, or the pump fails, etc, etc, theres no catchall. something is going to get damaged. in air, if the fan should fail, theres still a heatsink that can vent off the heat, and most likely the dead fan will be spotted.

granted mobos have that temp auto-cutoff thing, but Im not willing to put it to the test myself.

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Edited: 08/20/2007 at 12:29 PM by Immortal Lobster
 08/21/2007 07:34 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

It's not too used.
Good OC can be achieved with air cooling and for the extreme situations there are the extreme measures.

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro
 08/21/2007 08:22 AM

Author Icon
firejunior88

I'm going with water cooling in my new rig mostly for cosmetic reasons. I like the look of water cooling a lot more. Air cooling is to boring for me. I know you can get almost the same effects with air cooling.

Air is the way to go if your on a budget but if you have the extra money to spend, go with water.

If life gives you lemons, rub them in its eyes.....
 08/21/2007 08:36 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

But why spend extra if it works fine as it is ?

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro
 08/21/2007 10:37 AM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

becuase he wants cosmetic, which, if that cosmetic didnt have so many potential problems too go with it, Id probably spend the premium on it too, however, last thing I financially need to happen is the water pump fail and I lose the whole blasted thing, the adverse can happen, had a friend who had a power surge on his system, pump went into over drive, over pressurized the lines, and 2 hoses busrt, lost his mobo and video card, not sure on his CPU, he just used it as an excuse to upgrade, so he sold that on ebay as-is

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 08/22/2007 08:37 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

Aesthetics are irrelevant.

08/22/2007 01:03 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Originally posted by: Overmind

Thats your preference, not necassarily 324s, fires, or mine.

08/22/2007 04:34 PM

Author Icon
firejunior88

Originally posted by: Immortal Lobster

Originally posted by: Overmind

Thats your preference, not necassarily 324s, fires, or mine.

Exactly, I am into making my system look nice. If I build it, I want people to admire its beauty. I don't want wires sticking out, duct tape everywhere, poorly drilled holes in the case. Some of that might have to be done, but I feel even better when I build something if it looks great.

I guess its just personal preference. Thanks Immortal.

08/22/2007 04:39 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

no problem, I always cringe when I see a decent PC that looks like its beingheld together bu duct tape, I also do the same when I see a car that looks like its been driven off a cliff a few times.

08/22/2007 08:52 PM

Author Icon
firejunior88

Originally posted by: Immortal Lobster

no problem, I always cringe when I see a decent PC that looks like its beingheld together bu duct tape, I also do the same when I see a car that looks like its been driven off a cliff a few times.

Yea, no kidding. I think its worth the extra time to try and make it look good.

08/23/2007 02:51 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

Well, looking better does not help the perfomance or my $$.

08/23/2007 08:17 AM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

its not about performance or a wallet, its about careing for what you own

08/24/2007 08:15 PM

Author Icon
Stern63

I think the concept of watercooling is great - in theory. The one and only reason that could make me consider a watercooled solution would be to bring down sound emissions even lower. I have very little interest in overclocking considering the already great performance of the "mainstream" cpus like the Opteron 185 I just got, they work great with stock coolers (or *could* work great at least...).

The problems I've seen so far with reasonable "cost-effective" watercooled all-in-one solutions:
1- very crappy pump performance: unreasonably loud and prone to failure. This is odd since I encountered several excellent yet dead quiet water pumps when I was into keeping aquariums (most notably Eheim and the insanely inexpensive Powerhead pumps). In comparion to the current watercooling systems marketed, you got to wonder why these proven designs are not used as standard solutions. How is it even possible to fail given these fool-proof prototypes?

2- sooner or later many of these watercooling systems begin to leak, taking very expensive equipment down the drain, literally. I find that prospect highly unattractive...

No wonder that the highly effective heatpipe-based cooling systems are much more popular today. This is of course also a kind of liquid-cooling we are talking about, only that you have limitations on where the heat can be radiated unlike the watercooled systems.

I expect the next generation of heatpipe aftermarket coolers to offer much more flexible oportunities for radiator placement, for instance outside the case.
 08/24/2007 09:09 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

My air cooled system is flat out a lot quieter than many water cooled systems, I have a water fountain for my cat, very tiny little pump, about 2"x2"x1, I can hear that over this PC, and my other PC is just a little louder than that.

08/24/2007 10:08 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

When I first started looking for ways to quiet the PC there weren't very many quiet heatsinks around at all, so going with watercooling to keep the noise down made more sense. Today there's not much of a difference, if any at all depending on what your setup is, but it does look cool.

Performance-wise there's always been some overlap. If you compare good aircooling to bad watercooling, and you just paid to setup the bad watercooling then you're probably not going to be happy with the results.

Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
 08/24/2007 10:10 PM

Author Icon
JoeFriday

@3246251196

To answer the question, water cooling is no longer the novelty that it once was. Therefore, the cachet or prestige that used to be associated with it is all but gone. Consequently, the discussion of it has dwindled down to those who are serious about overclocking or those who are looking for cosmetic changes to their computers or to impress the less informed (The sort of blow-hard who makes comments like, "Yeah, I decided to use a water cooling loop in my system, but you don't need to worry about that right now. For YOUR purposes that wouldn't help you out much...")

The all in one solutions are often equaled or outperformed by good air cooling units. (It takes a good setup to beat a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme with good case airflow.) To have an excellent water cooling set-up will require a bit of reading and some $$ spent. For those that do spend the time investigating, checking out the overclocking forums and cobbling together their own systems, the cooling capability does greatly exceed non-water cooling.

Here is one area with some sticked threads that might be worth a gander.

This forum caters more to hardcore overclockers but this section also has useful information for perusal.

Consider what you will be using the computer for. If it is to be a portable rig for toting to lanparties, then a triple radiator water cooling setup is out of the question. If it for a strictly home use and silence is sought, there are large radiators that can be used with very low speed fans (or fanless depending on load).

My suggestion is that if someone is not going to overclock and they are not building a system for "bling" factor, then a good case with a top notch heatsink will be more than sufficient. As Dennis Miller would say, "Of course, that's just my opinion...I could be wrong."

Regards

DFI LP UT nF590 M2R/G (08/29/06)
Athlon 64x2 4200 (2.6GHz) (Cooling: Noctua NH-U12F)
OCZ PC8000 Ti Alpha VX2 2GB Kit (OCZ2TA1000VX22GK) (4,4,4,15, 1T @1040MHz)
Etasis Gaming Power ET850 850Watts
XFX 7900GS (620MHz/1800MHz) (Cooling: VF900Cu)
Testing
DFI Blood Iron P35/ E6700/ OCZ Plat Rev2 (2GB)/ OCZ 8800GTX/ OCZ Evo Stream 600/ Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
 08/25/2007 11:50 PM

Author Icon
firejunior88

Hey guys, while we are talking about this kind of stuff, will this pump work for a CPU, GPU, Rad, Res setup?

http://www.petrastechshop.com/peddcudeddcp.html

Right now I'm not looking for anything to high end. Just something to get my feet wet and start off with. I just hope this pump will do the trick. I don't want to buy it and it end up being not powerful enough. What do ya say?

Edited: 08/25/2007 at 11:57 PM by firejunior88
 08/26/2007 09:40 AM

Author Icon
JoeFriday

Ummmm, that's not a pump -- that is only a top.

Regards

DFI LP UT nF590 M2R/G (08/29/06)
Athlon 64x2 4200 (2.6GHz) (Cooling: Noctua NH-U12F)
OCZ PC8000 Ti Alpha VX2 2GB Kit (OCZ2TA1000VX22GK) (4,4,4,15, 1T @1040MHz)
Etasis Gaming Power ET850 850Watts
XFX 7900GS (620MHz/1800MHz) (Cooling: VF900Cu)
Testing
DFI Blood Iron P35/ E6700/ OCZ Plat Rev2 (2GB)/ OCZ 8800GTX/ OCZ Evo Stream 600/ Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
 08/26/2007 10:28 AM

Author Icon
firejunior88

Ooops....hehe. I guess I didn't read the description. One of the pictures had a pump in it so I kind of assumed. Thanks for putting me straight Friday. Ok, what about this one. I'm pretty sure this is a pump:

http://www.petrastechshop.com/ddb12inpu.html

Sorry everyone....

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information