AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Overclockin AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ AM2
Topic Summary: Overclocking Problems!!!!
Created On: 01/04/2008 07:25 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/04/2008 07:25 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
stefan063

I tried 20 times to overclock my processor,but I havent sucessided!

I have Gigabyte MS56S3 motherboar,Processor as above,4GB Kingstone DDR800Mhz,Gainward GeForce 8600GT,320GB WD 7200 S-ATA 2 3GB HDD,500W Power...

Can someone tell me please how to overclock this Processor and Motherboard!!!

Best Regards

-------------------------
Gigabyte MS56S3 Rev.2.0 nFORCE 560
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
4GB DDR2 800Mhz
Gainward 8600GT 256MB DDR3
WD HDD 320GB 3GB/s
Cooler Master Mars (Processor Cooler)
Cooler Master Blue Ice (Chipset Cooler)
LG LightScribe DVD-RW
LG Blue-RAY
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
 01/05/2008 05:42 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Hey.

Can you post what you are actually doing to try to overclock this CPU? The first thing I would do is take the memory out of the mix by running a lower memory multiplier...Kingston isn't really known to be awesome overclocking RAM. Then of course you up the FSB, lower the HTT multiplier as needed, eventually increase voltage, check temperatures...

My GT430 Is Folding For AMD Team 34106
FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
Thanks to KLEETUS for his generous donation of components!!
 01/05/2008 10:23 PM

Author Icon
stefan063

That is what I am trying to do! But actualy I need numbers! What FSB,Voltage,Multiplier,and so...

Can you give me a little help...

THX

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
4GB DDR2 800Mhz
WD HDD 320GB 3GB/s
LG LightScribe DVD-RW
LG Blue-RAY
 01/06/2008 12:57 AM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

The thing you have to remember is that things will always be different for different pieces of hardware, so I can't tell you exactly what to do. Overclocking always involves a little trial-and-error, and that's the fun of it. However, there are some basic steps. I don't know how much you know about it, so I'll list some basics.

To start, of course you know that your CPU speed is determined by the CPU multiplier multiplied by the FSB, in your case, if I remember right, it should be 12x200=2400MHz.

Another multiplier that you have to think about is the HTT multiplier. Although the processor speed is determined by the CPU multi multiplied by the base bus, the CPU doesn't actually communicate with the motherboard at the base speed of 200MHz. The CPU interacts with the motherboard and memory by way of the Hyper Transport Bus, or HTT bus. By default, this speed is 2000MHz. This is found by again taking the base bus(200MHz), multiplying it by the HTT Multiplier(which is at 5 by default), which equals 1000MHz. However, since the bus is bidirectional, it is effectively operating at 2000MHz. Something to remember. Your system does NOT like it when you stress the HTT bus! Simple solution? Don't.

So you're wondering how you can raise the base bus...but not raise the HTT bus speed right? Well you do this with the HTT multiplier. At all times, your HTT bus speed should not be far over the default 2GHz. You can get by with a little over, but not an incredible amount. For instance you could not run 250x5(not normally anyway), without running into some sort of stability problem. So if your are running 250, you can set the HTT multi to 4, and you would still have 2GHz HTT bus. Don't worry about having to lower the multiplier and slow down this bus. It's very efficient and you really won't notice if you are running a bit below 2GHz.

Now when you are upping the FSB of your CPU and increasing it's speed, you may have to eventually up the voltage. Right now, since it's a low voltage X2, it may be running at 1.325v or 1.35v. Depending on how efficient your chip is, you could probably get decently far on stock voltage. When you start to encounter stability problems, however, just up the voltage a little. .025v at a time would be good.

Increasing the FSB also increases the memory speed. If your RAM is not up to par, you may want to just run a RAM divider and slow down the RAM to eliminate that as a cause for instability. Also, because having four sticks of RAM instead of two is more stress on the memory controller, you tend to see a less substantial overclock with four sticks than you would with 2 or 1. Not to mention I don't think 1GB sticks really OC as wel as 512MB sticks, but hey. You have to work with what you have.

If you do want to try to overclock your RAM alongside your FSB(this will get you better performance than slowing your RAM down of course), you will also want to keep an eye on voltage for the RAM, or the "vdimm". Now I'm going to be honest and say I don't know a heck of a lot about DDR2 memory voltages and how high you should go, but that also depends on the specific chips used in your memory. Just don't expect anything spectacular.

Now with RAM, you want to keep in mind not only voltage, but timings. I assume you know what your RAM timings are, if not, they are the whole "4-4-4-12" or "5-5-5-15" or whatever your RAM is rated to run at. The lower the number, the more performance your are getting per stick. However, the lower the number, the more stress the RAM has. So if your RAM becomes unstable, after upping the voltage a bit, you can result to making the timings higher. Don't go crazy with this, but it does work. For instance, something that's unstable at a certain speed at 4-4-4-12 may be stable at that same speed running 4.5-4-4-15 or something like that.

Let's break down RAM timings. This is never going to happen, but say you have RAM running at 1-2-3-4.

1 is the CAS timing. 2 is TRCD. 3 is TRP. 4 is tRAS. Those are how they will show up in the BIOS. Cas and tRas don't have an overly huge effect on bandwith as I understand it, but more for stability. So yes, you don't have to feel bad about taking the a point of two higher right away, because it will get you a lot more stability. tRas is sort of the same way...although higher is not always better for tRas. It almost always is more stable though. Trcd and trp are the middle two timings, and they have the most to do with bandwith. There are a heck of a lot of other timings as well, but those are the ones that you should be concerned with for now.

Now for some walls.

CPU voltage: don't go over 1.6v. You obviously can, but you really shouldn't need to. Not to mention how much heat that would cause. You've got two cores there, remember that.
RAM voltage: once again, I'm not crystal clear on DDR2, but you shouldn't need more than 2.2-2.3v. Tops.
CPU temperatures: it really shouldn't go over 60. If it does, get a better cooler.
HTT Bus: not far over 2GHz.

Your CPU is at 2.4GHz. Do not expect with your setup, to get 3GHz. It's definitely possible, but if you hit a wall at 2.85GHz, don't set the RAM to 3v and the CPU to 2v. The CPU will have limits, as will the board, as will the memory.

Ummmmmm. I'm really not a pro at this. That's just sort of what I know. I hope it helps, but you can get much better information by just googling. But just try not to get frustrated...it really is just trial and error.

EDIT: And I guess go 5 or 10MHz at a time. Don't go straight to like...3GHz. Then boot into Windows and run programs like Prime95, SuperPI, Orthos, etc things like that to test how stable your system is. And just because these programs say it's stable doesn't mean it's stable. The best test you can do is use your computer like you would normally use it. For instance I had my single core A64 running a 200MHz overclock for over a week without seeing a blue screen, and it had seen at least 16hours of Prime95. However today I just got a bluescreen while gaming, so I had to up the voltage.

FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components

Edited: 01/06/2008 at 01:04 AM by technic58
 01/06/2008 07:39 AM

Author Icon
stefan063

Wow...

I havent seen BETTER reply or info in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you VERY MUCH and I will now try to do what you writte above!

One thing more..I have best Air Cooler,CM Mars....go to www.colermaster.com and see in CPU Coolers,AMD,Air Coled,And then Select MARS...Just se the cooler and tell me is it good!

ONE MORE TIME THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
4GB DDR2 800Mhz
WD HDD 320GB 3GB/s
LG LightScribe DVD-RW
LG Blue-RAY
 01/06/2008 08:44 AM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

That looks like a pretty decent cooler. How are your temperatures right now?

And hey I remembered last night...Gigabyte usually masks a lot of their more advanced options in the BIOS. When you first go into the BIOS, hit CTRL+F1 and that should let you see a few more options. I'd had that problem with my Intel based Gigabyte board awhile ago, and it seems like it's common practice for Gigabyte.

Good luck haha

01/06/2008 11:17 AM

Author Icon
stefan063

Originally posted by: technic58

That looks like a pretty decent cooler. How are your temperatures right now?

And hey I remembered last night...Gigabyte usually masks a lot of their more advanced options in the BIOS. When you first go into the BIOS, hit CTRL+F1 and that should let you see a few more options. I'd had that problem with my Intel based Gigabyte board awhile ago, and it seems like it's common practice for Gigabyte.

Good luck haha

I have made it to 3.1 GHz and thank you once again for helping me! I know for CTRL+F1...THX Temp of CPU is 35 Celsius,and Motherboard is 32 in Idle mode in Windows,and in CRYSIS Resolution set to 1440*900 32bit,all details set to HIGH,then,temp is rising in CPU to 45 Celsius and motherboard TEMP is 38 Celsius!What do you think about the TEMP?...I have raised voltage for CPU 1.400v,motherboard voltage 20%,memory 25%!!!My Memory is now DDR2 667!!!

Do you have any more suggestions on how to speed up more my CPU my friend?!

Best Regards

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
4GB DDR2 800Mhz
WD HDD 320GB 3GB/s
LG LightScribe DVD-RW
LG Blue-RAY
 01/06/2008 11:44 AM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

The motherboard voltage increase isn't hurting anything, but you usually don't have to increase the motherboard/chipset voltage to get high overclocks. So if your chipset starts to get to high in temperature, you can always bring that back down to stock.

As for the CPU temperatures, those really are really good for 3.1GHz. Are you sure it's stable at this speed? Have you run stability testing programs?

Another thing is, if your RAM is running at DDR2 667(I guess you're running a divider?), you probably don't need to raise the voltage. DDR2 667 is actually underclocking your RAM, because it's rated for DDR2 800(going by your signature). Stock voltage should be fine.

I would say just make sure everything is stable at this speed before you do anything else. If it turns out that it is 100% stable....you could always...

1. Try to get your RAM running at high speeds. RAM dividers are sort of strange for socket AM2...I found this by google and it does better at explaining them than I can.

http://forums.anandtech.com/me...2132545&enterthread=y

2. Try to get your FSB higher while retaining the same CPU speed. Right now I'm assuming your running 258x12 or 259x12 to get around 3100MHz. I also assume your HTT multiplier is either 3 or 4. Now what about 281x11? Your CPU is unlocked downwards, so you can pretty much set the CPU multi from 4ish to 12. Performance is usually better if you have a higher FSB to multi ratio. For instance, even though 281x11 and 258x12 both equal the same speed, 281x11 would yield slightly better performance. I don't think you would ever really notice this in real world performance, but it would probably show up in benchmarks. This isn't exactly worth it, but if you're bored...hey. I once ramped the FSB on my old Asrock motherboard up to 360MHz, but I needed to take my CPU multiplier way down in order to achieve that.

01/09/2008 11:38 PM

Author Icon
robladw

Technic58

Thank you so much for taking the time to give such a detailed response and clearly explaining how the HTT and FSB speeds work. Im here because I just ordered a budget system listed below with the hopes of reaching 2.8g @ something like 266x10.5 and now a htt multiplier of 3.

You did such a good job of explaining how everything worked that there was really no other need than to say thank you for taking soooo much of your time to explain it so well. Also would like to know if you would mind me linking to your post in other threads to help answer the questions of others. You explain it so well here. You have the patience of a teacher.

After reading your post I may actually try to get it to 2.8 with a lower multiplier. Im using a stock cooler because I have actually read they do a decent job just a bit noisy. Still not sure how much I trust the stock cooler. My case is a COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 RC with 3 120mm fans and the room is always pretty cool so I think I will be fine there.

Once again thank you for your time and they need to sticky this thread.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane
GIGABYTE GA-M57SLI-S4
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
VisionTek 900203 Radeon HD 3850 256MB

Edited: 01/09/2008 at 11:52 PM by robladw
 01/10/2008 06:49 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Haha well thank you...but eh. There are much better guides out there. Those are just bits and pieces of all the things I've learned all over time about overclocking...mostly from this forum, too.

Good luck though

01/26/2008 09:05 PM

Author Icon
clueless6

I'm not much into overclocking though, but those r definently great temps for oc'd cpu. As of MARs coolers they're really good in my opinion, but not needed unless ur overclocking(which u r)

AMD Athlon x2 5200+ AM2
2Gb DDR2 800 ocz rev2
Geforce 8600GTS 256MB
Biostar TA780G m2+ mobo
 03/08/2008 07:03 AM

Author Icon
silverpalm

i have the same cpu got last night from ebay here is what i got

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Socket AM2 Dual-Core
Biostar GF7050 Nvidia graphics AM2 motherboard microatx
Arctic Media Center CPU Cooler Socket 754/939/940/AM2
and im getting either 1gb or 2gb 800mhz ddr2 ram

so its wont be the best around but better than i have at the min my question is and if you dont mind how did you overclock yours and what specs is it now

thank you for any help
 03/17/2008 05:32 AM

Author Icon
silverpalm

i done it got 6.2ghz doh cant belive i asked how to do it bios you fool bios thats to me noone else lol
 10/06/2008 05:02 PM

Author Icon
Jeanpieterse

Hi stefan063,

I've got the same CPU And running very stable at 3.0Ghz
If got the FSB on 240 X 12.5 multiplier = 3000Mhz
My Vcore = 1.33V, Temp under max load = 51C

My System
Processor : AMD 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane
Motherboard : ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe
Memory : DDR2 800Mhz = 2 X 1Gb Transcend
Graphics : XFX GeForce 8800GS 384MB @ 725/850/1700
Sound : Soundblaster Audigy 5.1
Operating S : WinXP SP2
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information