Topic Title: Project: Containment Breach
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/23/2012 11:36 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/09/2012 11:10 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

Bits and pieces...

I used some old standoffs to cover an unused fan hole with one of the insulated fan covers that came with the case. This should help keep what(very) little sound the machine does make inside the machine. The other two covers are going on the front of the case where the intake fans normally would be.

Then it was more painting... I painted the motherboard I/O plate to match the case white slot covers.

Kind of makes me want to paint the PSU also.

Behold! The Orange Feet of Doom!

-------------------------
Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
 03/10/2012 01:25 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

Originally posted by: Mime

[snip]
Behold! The Orange Feet of Doom!

LMAO!

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 03/10/2012 09:58 AM

Author Icon
SlayerX
Elite

Painting the mobo's I/O plate was a heck of a idea and looks sharp

not too sure about the "Orange Feet Of Doom" though.

Thay'll probaly look really cool when the rig is all put together but for now thay look kinda funny

PII 1100T (Extinct)
Asus M4A78T-E (should be Extinct)
4Gb of Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz DDR3 (Going strong)
2x1GB 5850's (On their last lags)
Corsair HX850W (Awsome)
NZXT Phantom case (too ***** big)
 03/12/2012 01:56 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

I would have preferred the feet be a little bigger as well, but the orange should stand out more against white than it does the black. I did some more work on the case this weekend... should have another update ready when I get home from work today.

Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
 03/12/2012 10:42 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

This weekend it was tear down time. Time to drill all the rivets and get the case ready for fabrication and(more) painting. First thing to do was to ditch the two 5.25" drive bays, because I won't end up using those at all.

The 5.25" bays were riveted to the hard drive bays, but that was fine because those had to come out also.

After drilling out a few more rivets the hard drive cages collapsed into two identical racks and a bunch of drive trays. I got out my Dremel and cut one of the racks in half since I'm only going to use three drives.

After cleaning up the cut edges with a file I hit the two halves of the rack with some black paint which brought out the texture in the metal.... and made pictures difficult. In person they're more shiny industrial and less Mardi Gras glitter...

A little more drilling, and where I once had a case I now have parts. Painting is still on-going, but here's a few pieces that I painted yesterday.

Oooooo. Shiney.

Containment Breach

03/15/2012 02:30 AM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

More painting... and more shiney.

Back side panel

Bottom

PSU with it's frog tape masking

Masking removed

Reassembling what parts I can so far...

...and marking the cuts to make this weekend.

Containment Breach

03/15/2012 09:23 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

ahhhhh......I love the smell of fresh paint in the mornin!

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 03/19/2012 11:31 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

Yeah... there's a lot of painting in this project... more than I had anticipated... and there's still more to be done.

When I bailed on the 550D I did some more sketching just to see how things would work out. That was both a good thing and bad thing. Good, because it helped confirm that the Define R3 would work for this project. Bad, because it showed me just how well the Define R3 would work... leading to even more ideas that I couldn't leave alone.

The pre-stamped fan grates in the top of the case would only be partially covered by the radiator, so I masked and filled the exposed holes. You can also see here where I drilled my finger while drilling out a rivet. If my hand hadn't been in the way my first thought would have been "I'm glad my hand wasn't in the way of that"... instead it was "gee... that was really stupid". Fortunately the drill bit I was using wasn't very big.

I did the same with the top input panel. The radiator would be covering most of those ports anyway leading to a bunch of unneeded wires inside the case.

Time to do the first real fabrication of the project and cut some fan holes.... wheeeee.

The filler paste didn't hold up well to the drilling, and I wouldn't want it coming off so easily anyway. I'll have to get some better goo and try again. You can also see the holes marking the location of the fan controller as well... more on that later.

The top panel turned out much better.

Next up for fabrication was the front side panel where I drilled my pilot hole then cut a whacking huge hole for the window.

Since I want the inside of the case to remain black I have to do some creative masking. First I mask off the edges making sure the tape overlaps the edges of the panel.

Then I tape down the tape. This seals off the inside of the panel while leaving all of the area to be painted exposed.

My can of primer ran dry while painting it... grrr. It needs another coat to completely hide the black paint underneath, so putting in the actual window will have to wait until next time.

Containment Breach

Edited: 03/20/2012 at 01:00 AM by Mime
 03/20/2012 10:05 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

Now you need to change the verbiage under your avatar to human pin cushion!

Work is looking good though!

03/20/2012 04:54 PM

Author Icon
SlayerX
Elite

ok were are the wheels..

PII 1100T (Extinct)
Asus M4A78T-E (should be Extinct)
4Gb of Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz DDR3 (Going strong)
2x1GB 5850's (On their last lags)
Corsair HX850W (Awsome)
NZXT Phantom case (too ***** big)
 03/21/2012 03:02 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

Originally posted by: Canis-X

Now you need to change the verbiage under your avatar to human pin cushion!

Work is looking good though!

Thanks... and yeah... would you believe that about an hour after the drilling I burned my other hand on my soldering iron? Never done that before ever... must have had some seriously bad juju going that day or something. Got a crapton of stuff on the way still. There's still a lot left to do.

Originally posted by: SlayerX

ok were are the wheels..

No wheels this time. The next project though... we'll see.

Containment Breach

03/27/2012 01:49 AM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

The aforementioned crapton of stuff...

This is a smallish update considering all that stuff since there's a ton of things half done right now. Two things that got (mostly)finished since the last update were the front panels and the window. I won't be needing the air vents in the front panel of the case, so I figured they were a good location for more lighting.

I got my Dremel out and cut some pieces of left over acrylic, then stuck them to the inside of the panel using bits of double sided tape. One side had to have notches cut for the hinges of the case door. After cutting the pieces I roughed them up with a little 200 grit sandpaper to give them the frosted look.

Another string of orange LEDs provides the lighting.

The lighting is actually more subdued than I would have thought.... which is nifty. I was planning on using a solid state relay or some other electronic gizmo to hook these LEDs up to the HD LED pins on the motherboard, but I kind of like the way it looks just like this.

You can also see here where I added a little more sound proofing to the front and bottom, and where I filled and sanded a few unused holes in the backplate. More filling, sanding, panting, hacking, cutting, drilling, and so on still to come.

Containment Breach

Edited: 03/27/2012 at 02:08 AM by Mime
 03/27/2012 09:38 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

This is coming along very nicely Mime! You should unpack all of those boxes and take a pic of the crapton so we can get an idea of what you are working with and guess what all you are doing with it.

03/27/2012 11:06 AM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

Well, you'll also notice that I got rid of the Orange Feet of Doom. I figured the feet for a good accent piece, but that just wasn't working out for me, so I replaced them with tiny little black feet that you can't even really see at all. In the pic that shows the frosted acrylic the thing in the background with the writing on it is a 24"x24" sheet of aluminum. I plan to be working with that soon.

Containment Breach

Edited: 03/27/2012 at 11:27 AM by Mime
 03/27/2012 01:57 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

So excited! Where's the emoticon of the dude with a bag of popcorn at when you need it!?

This will work....lol

04/02/2012 10:32 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

I've been whacking big holes in the top of my case for a while now... this weekend I finished it.

Those be the cooling. Those four 120mm Noiseblockers will be the only fans in the system.

Test fit of the fans+radiator... it's always nice when theory meets reality. A few days after the test fit the resevoirs developed an annoying film on the inside...

Yes, in my house you're just as to find likely reservoir parts in my dish drainer as you are dishes.

I filled the unneeded holes(and mistakes...) with metal filling epoxy after my first attempt failed. After a lot(a lot!) of sanding this is what I had. At the last minute I decided against including a fan controller since I'd never actually use it, so I filled the holes for that also. It kind of looked a horror show...

... until I painted it.

I countersunk the mounting holes for the fans to avoid any possible problems mounting the radiator. The big empty hole is where the power button will be. I didn't have a 3/4" drill bit, so I made a 5/8" hole and attacked it with the Dremel. Almost seems a shame now to cover it up. That's all for now... until next time where I go berserk with sheet metal.

Containment Breach

Edited: 04/03/2012 at 04:34 PM by Mime
 04/04/2012 08:58 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

Ok, so I lied. Here's a few teaser pics, like Canis-X said I should take.

24"x24" aluminum sheet, with a test piece I hacked out over the weekend

Yes those are buckets, and a tiny can of clear acrylic spray. I need to get some baking soda also, for when the process is complete.

Containment Breach

04/04/2012 11:32 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

Now that's what I'm talkin about! Thanks for the update Mime....and the teaser!

Edited: 04/05/2012 at 10:23 AM by Canis-X
 04/09/2012 10:40 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

New toys!

First... one more painting related update. When I finished whacking holes in the top of the case it seemed to me there was too much black at the front of it, so I painted the front intake grills white, and left the door black.

Looks better this way.

Now... New toys!!

The new jigsaw is awesome. It was a bit of a struggle cutting through the sheets of aluminum with the old one. This one doesn't break a sweat. I forgot my camera on the day I did all the cutting, but I already pictured the big sheet all marked up in the last update anyway.

The first thing I did with the saw was make myself a bracket for the hard drive cage. When I cut apart the stock cage, it lost all it's structure, so simply riveting each side to the case isn't going to work anymore. It needs something to resist the outward force applied by the drive trays.

I'll need something for the bottom as well to keep it squared up, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Here I am drilling holes for rivets. The big hole is going to be an interior window that will get covered with a sheet of plexi to showcase Dead Fred... or at least what the toxic goo hasn't eaten yet.

The other new toy is Grizzly's mini mighty bender. Almost just as awesome as the saw.

The piece I'm bending will end up getting JB welded to the motherboard backplate. It'll replace the chunk I hacked out to make room for the fan controller... which I ended up not using.

You're supposed to use the mounting holes on the sides of it to secure it to a workbench. I'm being bad by not doing that.

One final shot to tie it all together. More bending, drilling, hacking and cutting still to come, but it's starting to take shape.

Containment Breach

04/15/2012 09:37 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

Mini-update, until I can organize everything into a full one.

Project sprawl. It's taken over an entire room of my house now.

Hmm... what could I be up to here?

Containment Breach

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information